Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Chasing Jesus

32“Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven. 33“But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.
Matthew 10: 32 -33 NKJV

He has been the subject of relentless pursuits by many, persecuted and put to death by His own.  We have been told that we need to fear, despise and even to be more like Him.  He is Christ Jesus, the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last.  He has been revered as one of the most compassionate men in our history, and yet few really have come to know Him.  He is more mystery than a known individual.  No man in modern history has ever met Him, and yet Jesus gave His life for us all.  Dare I say that Jesus has been one of the most wanted and pursued men in history.  The authorities of His day pursued Him becaus they viewed Him as a threat.  Many more have chased Him because of the free gift which He offers all who come to Him.  For scripture tells us that whoever calls on the name of Jesus will be saved {Romans 10:13}.  Like many others, I chased Jesus for a good part of my life until God revealed to me that He has always been closer than I ever thought He could be.  Yes, many pursue Christ Jesus for the very same reason that I did, for the forgiveness of sins and  eternal life which He offers all who come to Him.  He is more than simply a child born in a manger who was ultimately crucified that our sins would be forgiven.  One of my favorite scriptures for those who find themselves chasing Jesus can be found in the book of Luke.  As the women gazed into the empty tomb of Jesus that morning the angel inquired, "Why do you seek the living among the dead?"  Why indeed.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.
Galations 2:20 NKJV

I believe that the mistake which many make in their pursuit of Jesus is the thinking that this man Jesus sits in His lofty perch at the right hand of God the Father, forever seperated from those He gave His life to save.  This mistaken thinking of Jesus can leave us with more than a few false beliefs of who He truly is.  For if we truly knew this man Jesus, we would know that He is closer to us than we ever knew.  As the apostle Paul tells us in Galations, we ourselves have endured that crucifiction with Christ Jesus who now lives within those who have accepted Him in their hearts.  Why do we continue in our pusuit of Jesus when He is so near to us?  Perhaps because the very truth of Jesus is unknown to many.  For this truth was not revealed to me until my adult years.  I recall attending a mens breakfast with my friend Dennis some time ago.  As we sat and listened to the speaker tell of the benefits of finding a "Special circle" of men who could help keep us accountable, Dennis tapped my arm and passed me a note.  On this peice of paper he had written me a message many desperately need to see, "Look for a man who wants to PURSUE Jesus!"  Amen brother!

~Scott~

No comments: