Saturday, November 26, 2016

Jesus In A Box

13He has delivered us from the power of darkness and cconveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love, 14in whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins. 15He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him. 17And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. 18And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the preeminence.
Colossions 1: 13 - 18 NKJV

There was a time when, as a new believer, that I would often dabble in my new religion almost as someone would a hobby.  Some days I was immersed in all that the Lord had for me, while others I was surrounded by all that the world around me was offering.  It was almost as if I was a loyal christian on Sunday, but afraid to acknowledge Jesus during the week.  For during the week I was immersed in a world that seemed to go against everything which Jesus had taught.  The fear of being scoffed at for being a "Jesus lover" or "Bible thumper" was often a tough pill for me to swallow.  All too often, I would choose the path of least resistance and choose that path of the world.  I was on the outside looking in.  However, inevitably something would happen in my life where I desperately needed my Lord and savior once again.  So I would return once again to being the good christian I was told I needed to be.  There were more than a few pulpit pounders who even went so far as to tell me that my salvation was conditional on becoming a regular and not just a part time church attender.  Each time I tried to return to Jesus, I felt more guilt and shame.  My part time Jesus wasn't doing it for me.  Sure, I knew who Jesus was.  He was the child born of a virgin, laid in a manger and who ultimately died on the cross to forgive my sins.  Knowing all of this, I still felt condemned by this very man who supposedly had given His very life for me.  It didn't occur to me that perhaps I was seeing Jesus from the wrong perspective.

20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who jwill believe in Me through their word; 21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. 24“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. 25“O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. 26“And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”
John 17: 20 - 26 NKJV

It took some time, but I would come to realize that Christ Jesus is more than just a hobby which I dabble in, more than just a 911 call I can turn to in times of distress.  The entire time that I had been led to believe that Christ Jesus was seperate from me, watching me from His lofty perch in heaven, He was actually closer to me than I had hoped.  This is the Jesus which many christians know today, a Jesus who only appears in times of need.  This "Jesus in a box" is nowhere close to the truth of Christ Jesus.  The prayer which Jesus prayed for all believers in the garden before His death was not one where He would be seperated from us.  No, Christ Jesus prayed that we would BE ONE with He and the Father.  This Jesus who I had thought was so far from me is indeed much closer to me than I had ever expected.  For we are not meant to be seperate, but one with Christ Jesus.

~Scott~

No comments: