Thursday, November 24, 2016

Thankful

1Now on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they, aand certain other women with them, came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared. 2But they found the stone rolled away from the tomb. 3Then they went in and did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4And it happened, as they were bgreatly perplexed about this, that behold, two men stood by them in shining garments. 5Then, as they were afraid and bowed their faces to the earth, they said to them, “Why do you seek the living among the dead? 6“He is not here, but is risen! Remember how He spoke to you when He was still in Galilee, 7“saying, ‘The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.’ ” 8And they remembered His words. 9Then they returned from the tomb and told all these things to the eleven and to all the rest.
Luke 24: 1 - 9 NKJV

One of my favorite seasons of the year is the holiday season, that time from Thanksgiving through the New Year.  This was not so this past year, however, with the passing of my mother just after January first.  Despite this, I continue to hold a fondness for our holiday season.  For it is during the holidays that many people seemto reconcile themselves with friends and family who may they may not have connected much with during the year.  The first stop on this trio of holidays is Thanksgiving.  It is hear that I find myself this morning struggling to think of words for those things which I am thankful.  Don't get me wrong, I am thankful for a great man y things, but I also feel as if I have began to take a few things which I am thankful for for granted in my life.  I am greatful for a good circle of friends which I have, I am thankful for Gods provision in my life and I am indeed thankful that, despite all that has happened this past year, that I can still find things which I am thankful for.  For it is often the smallest blessings in our lives which we tend to overlook.  This is also a feeling we need to avoid if we can.  For we may have all the things which we need, but there is nothing in our lives, including our next living breath, which is not ultimately provided to us by our heavenly Father, our loving Daddy.  Despite all that the pride of our flesh may tell us, there is absolutely nothing which we have gained, aquired or earned that does not have our Lords fingerprints on it.  For our flesh will try to tell us that we are indeed our own independent self in charge of our own destiny, and we must do away with such foolish thoughts.  God has had a hand in each and every aspect of my life, and for that I am grateful.

1Therefore, having been justified by faith, awe have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, 2through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. 3And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces bperseverance; 4and perseverance, ccharacter; and character, hope. 5Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us. 6For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. 7For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. 8But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. 10For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. 11And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation.
Romans 5: 1 - 11 NKJV

It is this realization, that God has had a hand in each and every espect of my life, that I am most thankful for.  When I was but a young christian, I would often ask myself why God would think so much of me, a sinner, that He would provide for my salvation.  I was dirty, stained and in much more need of jedgement than forgiveness.  However, it is precisely that I carried this sin with me that God had mercy on me and loved me first.  For I was indeed created in His very Spirit image.  God could no more leave me behind than a loving father could abandon one of his own.  Not only was I created in the image of my heavenly Father, but I, Scott, am a son of the most high!  The apostle Paul tells us in Romans 5 that God demonstrates His deep affection for His children in that while we were still sinners, that He sent His Son to become sin in our place {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  In this the love and mercy of our heavenly Father was manifested.  For this I am thankful.  I've often asked those who have professed to be seeking for Jesus in their lives the very words of the physician Luke, "Why do you seek the living among the dead?"  For when we come to the point of accepting Christ Jesus, we need only look within ourselves to see His presence {Galations 2:20}.  He is not dead, but alive.

~Scott~

No comments: