Friday, April 28, 2017

A Belief Beyond Words



25The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.” So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.” 26And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!” 27Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.” 28And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!” 29Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
John 20: 25 - 29 NKJV

I've been on the other side of the christian belief fence once or twice.  I've had others ask me, "Scott, why do you believe?"  I'm not ashamed to say that this is one of the most difficult questions I've ever answered.  Difficult as far as how much thought I put into my answer.  One answer to this question which I've always regurgitated is simply, "I just do."  Why can't people just accept my response to their question and move on?  For I am not, nor have I ever claimed to be a preacher, pastor or Pharisee school scholar.  That's just not me.  However, what I do bring to any discussion about faith and Jesus are my own experiences on why I have placed my trust and belief in the risen Lord Jesus.  It is not my job to justify to others just why I believe the way I do, only that I share my experiences in the arms of Christ.  In His so called "Great commission" to His disciples upon His resurection, Jesus made it clear that these men were to go and make "Disciples" of all the nations.  Now, many a believer has seen this as a commandment from Christ for us today to create disciples in the mold of those who followed Jesus.  After all, the scriptures indeed call these men His disciples.  So, when Jesus instructed these men to go and make disciples of all the nations we assume that He meant others such as those who followed Jesus.  In fact, there have been countless manuals, videos and pulpit pounder sermons preaching the virtues of making disciples of just about anyone we come across.  I've even had christians approach me with that dreaded question, "So, how many disciples did you recruit this week?"  To me this question is almost as bothersome as why I believe the way I do.  It is my opinion that far too many people are stuck on biblical instruction than in true relationship with Christ.  There, I said it.  So, why do I believe?  I believe because Christ loved me first.  I believe because He loved me despite my sin nature, which He ultimately took upon Himself to be put to death at the cross {2 Corinthians 5: 21}.  This is what Jesus asks of me, to trust in Him.

1Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. 2For by it the elders obtained a good testimony. 3By faith we understand that the worlds were framed by the word of God, so that the things which are seen were not made of things which are visible.
Hebrews 11: 1 - 3 NKJV

It is interesting when the very words of Jesus are put into context and removed from the fog of our own translation.  For when Christ instructed His disciples to make "Disciples" of all the nations, what he meant was to make...followers.  The greek terminolgy for their word Mathetes literally means student or pupil...more often than not of a religous teacher.  In fact, the Greek philosophers themselves had disciples who learned at their side.  So it is that we ourselves are to inspire new followers for Christ Jesus.  Now, I also don't believe that seminars and sermons are the best way to show someone to be a follower of Jesus.  Do we turn to seminars or pulpit pounder sermons in order to follow Jesus?  Perhaps, but one of the best teachers of the love and freedom to be found in Christ is through the spoken word of those who have come to know Him intimately.  This may be why people are so perplexed by my answer as to why it is I believe.  I believe because I have seen the influence of Jesus in those around me.  There is no sermon which brought me to a relationship with Christ, only the words of a dear friend of mine.  Jesus lived a good part of His life among His disciples, sharing His life with these men who followed Him.  They came to have a intimate relationship with Him.  That relationship is not far from us today.  For when Jesus took our sins upon Himself on the cross, that spirit of error which we once carried was put to death forever {Romans 6: 6 - 11}.   Let nobody question just why we believe in Jesus.  As it was for me, it is revealed to us in our Lords own fullness of time.

~Scott~



No comments: