Saturday, April 8, 2017

Not Me


10“Come now, therefore, and I will send you to Pharaoh that you may bring My people, the children of Israel, out of Egypt.” 11But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh, and that I should bring the children of Israel out of Egypt?”
Exodus 3: 10 - 11 NKJV

There was a popular cartoon strip when I was growing up called the family circle.  It's author, Bill Keane, would always use his creation to illustrate the comedy reality of parents life with their children.  One particular character in Keans comics was the infamous invisible ghost known simply as "Not me."  Without fail, whenever some accident would happen in the Keane household, each and every child would chime in with their innocence by calling the ghosts name"Not me!"  Obviously, any of us who have been parents can relate to the not me ghost.  He was nowhere and yet everywhere at the same time.  But did you know that the not me ghost came along long before the Keane comic?  Just ask our friend and patriarch Moses.  For in the midst of one of the most important burning bushs in history, Moses suddenly came down with a serious case of the not me's.  Granted, God had not chosen to reveal Himself to Moses because he had done something wrong.  On the contrary, He was presenting His servant with a unique opportunity.  See, God had indeed witnessed the suffering of His children at the hands of their Egyption captors.  He had indeed heard their cries.  This was Gods "Fullness of time" moment, and Moses was front and center in Gods devine plan.  Moses' response?  Not me God!  Well, he may as well have called on that spirit of the not me ghost.  As Moses exclaimed, "Who am I that I should go to Pharoh?"  Obviously ol' Moses did not realize that when God comes knocking, not me is usually not a appropriate response.  For sooner or later, with or without you, Gods plan WILL be revealed.  Thankfully, Moses exercised that not me ghost and followed where God led him.

31And the Lord said, “Simon, Simon! Indeed, Satan has asked for you, that he may sift you as wheat. 32“But I have prayed for you, that your faith should not fail; and when you have returned to Me, strengthen your brethren.” 33But he said to Him, “Lord, I am ready to go with You, both to prison and to death.” 34Then He said, “I tell you, Peter, the rooster shall not crow this day before you will deny three times that you know Me.”
Luke 22: 31 - 34 NKJV

The apostle Peter was just another example of one who conjured up the not me ghost.  Indeed, Peter loved Jesus and was more than willing to walk that same path as Christ, or so he claimed.  That is, until not me showed up once again.  For as Jesus had predicted, the time would come when young Peter would be faced with the most difficult of decisions.  He could admit to following Jesus and risk facing the same punishment as Christ would endure, or deny His Lord and retreat into the safety of his own comfort zone.  Indeed, not me is everywhere and anywhere.  Despite his Lords warning, Peter was adamant that he would never give in.  Well, we all know how that worked out for him in the end.  However, despite Peters denial, Jesus knew better days were ahead for his young disciple.  For even as He predicted Peters fall, He at once reassured him.  Jesus consoled Peter with another prediction, "When you have returned to Me."  This was not the end of Peters road, but the begining.  What followed was the redemption of Peter and one of the greatest defenders of the faith we can point to today.  In Peters mind, his denial surely meant failure.  However, in Gods ultimate plan, that denial was not meant for bad  but for Peters growth.  Indeed, Moses' own hesitation was also Gods way of preparing Him for what lay ahead.  Although we may not be able to exercise that not me ghost, one thing we can do is proclaim "Why not me?"

~Scott~

No comments: