Saturday, April 29, 2017

The Forgotten Man

~The Forgotten Man by Jon McNaughton~


"When I go home, people ask me, 'Hey Hoot, why do you do it man?  Why?  You some kind of war junkie?  I won't say a goddamn word.  Why?  They won't understand.  They won't understand why we do it.  They won't understand that it's about the men next to you...and that's it.  That's all it is."
~Master Sergeant Norm "Hoot" Hooten, Black Hawk Down~

I have a coworker who some time ago had become so stressed out over her supervisor and the politics of our job that she eventually ended up taking periods of time off from work because of her dislike for the way things were done.  I've seen this more and more in our society in recent years, when the rubber hits the road, there are those who revert back to hiding from what they are facing as a way of dealing with it.  Now, obviously I'm no psychiatrist, but that is not the point of this post.  The fact is that people will deal with situations in their lives differently.  The way that I deal with the politics and workplace garbage which we deal with is to take it with a grain of salt.  After all, at the end of the day they're paying me to be there.  As long as they keep paying me I'll keep showing up.  That's my mindset.  Believe me, I've had this same conversation with my coworker man y a time, but she's stuck in her ways.  I've even forwarded the clip from the film Black Hawk Down where Eric Bana (Delta Operator Norm Hooten) explains to his astounded army Ranger companion just why he does what he does...she didn't get it.  Yes, I was trying not to instigate her, but it was frustrating.  Because at the end of the day, when she is missing in action, there are others she works with who still need to do our own jobs.  This is that forgotten man.  This is what the Norm Hooten character in Black Hawk Down was refering to in his speech to the other soldier.  Yes, it was dangerous work.  Yes, it was deadly to go back into that hell that was Mogadishu on that day...but he still had a few of his comrades out in that city who needed to come home.  He would not forget the forgotten man.  In his heart he was thinking of others and not of himself...self for others.

9Two are better than one, Because they have a good reward for their labor. 10For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, For he has no one to help him up. 11Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; But how can one be warm alone? 12Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4: 9 - 12 NKJV

The point which I was trying to get across to my coworker without being so blunt was that while she retreated herself away from her job as a result of stress, those of us around her still needed to do what it is we do.  The forgotten man.  Like I said, I'm no psychiatrist.  It is Dennis who first introduced me to that concept of a heart for self versus a heart for others.  It would seem that my coworker has a heart for self.  However, there are times when she shows another giving side as well.  Go figure.  Those that put the needs of others above their own are those who display a heart for others.  However, those who more often than not place themselves above the needs of others may be displaying a heart for self.  Be it a self for self or a self for others, there is no denying that there will often come times when we will all need the help of those around us.  Will those we choose to surround ourselves with respond to that forgotten man?  I've been fortunate to have a circle of friends who look after one another from time to time...our band of brothers per se.  Now, is teamwork an obligation we must uphold?  Obviously not, or I would not have had this conversation with my coworker.  However, is teamwork a virtue we might seek to exhibit?  Absolutely!  I guess I shouldn't refer to it as teamwork, but as putting the needs of others above our own.  I know that's a strange concept in these days of self gratification.  How will what we do affect those around us?

We few, we happy few, we band of brothers; For he to-day who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne-er so vile, this day shall gentle his condition; And gentlemen in England now a-bed shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here, And hold their manhoods cheap while any speaks that fought with us on Saint Crispins Day!
~William Shakespeare, Henry V~

~Scott~

No comments: