Friday, April 7, 2017

The Grace Contradiction


6For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly. 7For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die. 8But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5: 6 - 8 NKJV

As a young christian I remember feeling as if I would never measure up to the standard which was expected of my heavenly Fathers love.  After all, I was a sinner and had been born into sin from the begining {Romans 3:23}.  I was often told that I should rejoice in being a "Sinner saved by grace."   After all, Christ Jesus had died on that cross that my sins would be forgiven.  Nonetheless, I was told that I needed to be in daily prayer for my heavenly Fathers forgiveness for things I may have done.  In my mind I was still a sinner which in turn left me feeling unforgiven and unworthy in the eyes of God.  My life was a daily struggle in my attempt to win Gods favor and forgiveness.  For as God could not tolerate the presence of sin, so I had to fight to earn His favor.  I had something to prove, or so I thought.  Little did I know that the underlying issue I had had been in the teaching and not in my understanding of God.  For had I understood the true nature of my heavenly Fathers love {1 John 4:8}, I would have saved myself some serious grief.  It is here where the grace contradiction of chirstianity lies.  For it is common knowledge among christians that Christ Jesus gave Himself so that our very sins would be forgiven us.  In fact, we make a point of celebrating this fact each and every Easter season.  Christ Jesus was crucified on the cross, buried and then rose again three days later.  Lost somewhere in that time period is the fact that somewhere along the way, my sins were forgiven me.  That means SINS in the plural, meaning each and every mistake past, present and future which I have ever made Jesus took upon Himself at the cross {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  My debt had been paid, the slate was now clean.  Still, I was told that I needed to be in prayer daily for Gods forgiveness.  Seriously?  Had Jesus somehow missed a few of my sins with the shedding of His blood?  Were my sins so flagrant that even the sacrafice of Christ Jesus could not cover them?  Am I the only one who saw this grace contradiction?  It's not hard to realize just why more than a few christians feel unworthy of Gods love.

9Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10“Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11“The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, ‘God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12‘I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.’ 13“And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, ‘God, be merciful to me a sinner!’ 14“I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.”
Luke 18: 9 - 14 NKJV

This contradiction in Gods message is nothing which is from God.  On the contrary, Gods very nature is to love His children.  So much so, that as the apostle Paul tells us in Romans 5, while we were yet sinners...Christ Jesus died for us!  Did God condemn us while we were yet sinners?  For this would not have shown His true nature.  It was never His intention that we should suffer in the presence of our sins.  For if this were true, He would not have reconciled the world to Himself through His Son.  There need be no condemnation with God {Romans 8: 1}.  Therefore, those feelings of unworthiness which I was once plagued with were not from Him.  I mentioned that the underlying issue with this grace contradiction was with the teaching and not in my understanding of Gods nature.  I knew the scripture, I read it quite often.  It was fortold that Christ Jesus Himself would be the one to bear our sins.

4Surely He has borne our griefs And carried our hsorrows; Yet we esteemed Him stricken, Smitten by God, and afflicted. 5But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.
Isaiah 53: 4 - 5 NKJV

Indeed, the message we receive today is a contradiction of the truth which our heavenly Father has revealed to us through His word.  For though we were yet sinners...Christ died for us.

~Scott~






No comments: