Monday, April 16, 2018

A God That Doesn't Fit



27So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Genesis 1: 27 NKJV

Some might look upon the title of this entry and scratch their heads in wonder.  Why wouldn't God fit anywhere?  After all, He is the Alpha and the Omega, the Begining and the End of all we will ever see.  It is this belief that we are in some way seperate from the God we serve that is in error.  Recently a friend of brought to our attention a quote shared by a friend that we often shrink God to fit into OUR image.  Now, ponder that line of thinking for a minute and you may just see this error for what it is.  Here we are taking God, who must seemingly be seperated from us, and then molding Him into what we want Him to be.  Never mind the fact that the apostle Paul clearly tells us that it is Christ Jesus Himself who lives through us today {Galations 2:20}.  Ignore the fact that it is WE who have died to our former selves and now live WITH Christ where He is{Romans 6:8}.  Now, I realize all too well where this seperation thinking originates, but it is useless to bash the institutional church for its failings.  No, the best that I can do is share the truth that I know in my own heart to be true.  Indeed, thousands of years of church teachings have instilled in all good christian soldiers the belief that Jesus has ascended into heaven and that He now sits at the right hand of the Father.  I get it.  The truth of Christ is that He, the image of the invisable God, lives through us today.  In fact, I would suggest that the world may not know God if not through those whom Jesus lives through.  Did not Jesus, being in Spirit Himself, come in the flesh for all too see?  It is not Christ who has changed over time, but our own image of who He is {Hebrews 13:8}.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

So, does God fit into who you believe that He is?  Does He fit into who we've been told He is?  As hard as it is for me to say it, as christians we have been sold a bill of goods on who our Lord truly is.  For years I struggled with my own belief in Him.  For I had been taught that I believed in a God who simply sat in heaven, apart from me, judging my every thought and move.  He was a God who would become angry or upset when I messed up.  I remember a few times growing up where I would pray to Him..."where is your love for me, God?"  His love was, and is, still with me.  Not only that, my sins past, present and future have ALL been cleansed by the finished work of Jesus on the cross.  What we have to enjoy today is a Father who has brought His children He loves dearly unto Him.  It is the Fathers desire that we live in communion with Him.  This was the prayer of Jesus in the garden, that we would be one with He and the Father {John 17:21}.  I believe that this prayer of Jesus has been answered in all who have come to know Him.  As Christ lives through us, we become one with He and the Father.  Not only are we that perfect image of our Father in heaven, the rest of the world will know Him through us.

20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word;21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. 24“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.
John 17: 20 - 24 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: