Sunday, April 1, 2018

Christ Reconciled



 18Now all things are of God, who has reconciled us to Himself through Jesus Christ, and has given us the ministry of reconciliation, 19that is, that God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. Life Lessons 5:19 —God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself, not imputing their trespasses to them, and has committed to us the word of reconciliation. God has given to us the task of letting the world know what Jesus has done to make it possible for everyone who has faith in Him to enjoy eternal life and an intimate relationship with the Father. 20Now then, we are ambassadors for Christ, as though God were pleading through us: we implore you on Christ’s behalf, be reconciled to God.
2 Corinthians 5: 18 - 20 NKJV

I've wondered from time to time just where I would be if I were to simply accept the popular institutional church teaching of the reality of Jesus today.  We've all heard the story of Jesus' struggles and tribulations as He made His way to the cross and His date with destiny.  In fact, He had warned His disciples more than a few times just where His own life journey would lead Him.  That being, straight to His Father.  Not only His Father...but our Father as well.   The chorus of a popular christian hymm also tells of of this journey...from the cross to the grave, from the grave to the sky Lord I lift your name on high!  It's as if Christ Jesus finished His journey upon rising from the grave, despite His assurance that He would be with us always {Matthew 28:20}.  So, there sits Jesus at the right hand of the Father in heaven looking down upon Gods children, His work now complete.  This is exactly why we are told by one pulpit pounder or another that you and/or I need to become "closer to Jesus."  It's as if the main fuction of Christ today is to look down upon us in judgement of our behaviors.  Lord help us if He is ever displeased in us as then there He could become displeased and punish us.  After so many times hearing this narative in one church or another I actually did something any pastor might have frowned upon, I began to think on what I was being taught.  How was it that Jesus was sitting in heaven in judgement of all I did here on earth if He had died to cleanse me of all my iniquities?  There had to be something more to this story.  Lucky for me there is.

20“I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2: 20 NKJV

There were a few things that ultimately made me question what the pastors were teaching me.  The first was the completed work of Christ on the cross.  The next was what happened after that, and that took me longer to come to grips with.  See, the work of Jesus didn't end with His resurection that morning.  No, for after His resurection the angels asked the women who ventured to His empty tomb a very important question..."why do you seek the living among the dead?"{Luke 24:5}.  If Jesus were to simply have risen and rose into heaven, why would the angels proclaim this?  Better yet, why would He have appeared to His own disciples after His resurection?  On this easter Sunday we celebrate not the Jesus who died and rose into heaven where He remains today, but the Christ Jesus who lives through us today {Galations 2:20}.  This is not a reconciled relationship based on seperation, but one where Jesus is intimately involved in all that we are doing.  Everything we see, touch and experience today we do as Christ who is in us.  There is no seperation between Jesus and Gods children, and I would argue that there never has been.  Yet so many are fed the teachings of the church each week.  Forgive me if it has taken me so long to come to grips with that truth which is Christ in us {Colossions 1:27}.  To be honest, I feel more comfortable knowing that my Lord and savior remains so close within me.  Of course, that was our Lords plan all along.  Christ Jesus reconciled.

25The other disciples therefore said to him, “We have seen the Lord.”So he said to them, “Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand into His side, I will not believe.”26And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas with them. Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, “Peace to you!”27Then He said to Thomas, “Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it into My side. Do not be unbelieving, but believing.”28And Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”29Jesus said to him, f“Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”
John 20: 25 - 29 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: