Monday, April 23, 2018

What Would You Do?



16By this we know love, because He laid down His life for us. And we also ought to lay down our lives for the brethren. 17But whoever has this world’s goods, and sees his brother in need, and shuts up his heart from him, how does the love of God abide in him?
1 John 3: 16 - 17 NKJV

I was struck the other day while a friend related a work story just how each of us might be missing the boat in our own way.  My friend lamented the fact that a coworker had refused to do a relatively simple task that, in the long run, would have helped their work group.  Instead, the culprit chose to head home without assisting his coworkers.  As my friend related it, he would have gone that extra mile for his coworkers.  Knowing him as I do, I tend to believe what he says.  What would I have done in such circumstances?  What would you have done?  Only we know the answer to that question in our hearts.  However, I will say that there have indeed been times where I have given up on helping a brother.  Does this make me a bad person?  The apostle John may have thought so.  It is John who tells us to not forsake helping a brother in need.  Yet how many times have each of us done that very same thing?  I've also been on the receiving end of someone not helping me in my time of need, it doesn't feel too good.  Now, I'd like to think that if I were unable to help someone that at least I would have a solid reason as to why not, but it doesn't always work out that way.  There are times, when we follow that lead of our own flesh, that we will withhold our help for others simply to satisfy what we feel is right and just.  Like I said, I've been there.  Now, without revealing indentities here, at the end of his work life story finished by telling me that he would definately think twice if his coworker ever asked him for help.  Hey, I get it.  I would be lying if I claimed that I have never treated another in such a way.  Knowing this, I asked myself a all important question.  Who am I to put myself in Gods place?  For isn't it Christ who calls on us to love our neighbor as ourselves?  Would we ever even consider withholding something for ourselves if we needed it?  Yet isn't this exactly what we are doing when we turn our backs on another?

35‘for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36‘I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’37“Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38‘When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39‘Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’40“And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’
Matthew 25: 35 - 40 NKJV

Reading that passage of the words of Christ we find in Matthew 25 may just cut to the very heart of all that we believe.  Here's Jesus telling us that when we forsake helping another in need not only are we depriving that person...but Christ as well.  Of course, if the Spirit of Christ Jesus lives on in me, then it lives through my brother as well {Galations 2:20}.  I don't hold a monopoly on the grace of my savior.  However, I also need to recognize that as Jesus came to redeem all, that means my brother as well.  Seeing beyond ourselves may just be the hardest thing we will ever do.  When we think of our own circumstances it's on a personal level.  I feel hurt when a brother, for whatever reason, refuses to help me when I'm in need.  In turn, I might feel that I am justified in withholding help from that same person.  Then I stop and think to myself, what if Christ, knowing my own past, had chosen instead to lavish His love on another person more perfect than me?  Of course, that would never happen, but it certainly does make you stop and think.  Then I think of one of the biggest reasons why I now carry that Spirit of Christ in me.  How is it that others would ever see the love and good works of Jesus if not through those He lives through?  How is it that others will ever take notice of God if not through those He abides in?  Remember that Jesus Himself came in the form of man, that others might see the Father whom they had never seen {John 14:8-9}.  Not only is the Spirit of Christ in us that we might have a closer relatinship with our heavenly Father, but that those around us might come to know Him as well.  I guess that one could call us torch bearers of that light of Christ who is in us today.  He is indeed the light of the world for all to see {John 8:12}.

14“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15“Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven."
Matthew 5: 14 - 16 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: