Sunday, March 17, 2019

Our Higher Calling



14“You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. 15“Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. 16“Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Matthew 5: 14 - 16 NKJV

A friend of mine has a description of the two different types of people.  Not just christians, mind you, but everyday people.  These two types of people he classifies into those he calls "self for self" and "self for others."  Now, I'm sure that most people can differentiate the characteristics of these people without knowing what he is refering to.  We've all seen them in our own lives.  The self for self person who labors each day on those things which are best for him, sometimes at the cost of others around him.  Contrast this with the self for others who always seems to have the needs of others in mind.  Again, I've seen examples of both of these in my own life.  I often recognized my mother as a definate self for others personality.  She was always thinking of others.  On the other hand, there are a few coworkers and friends who I swear have that self for self personality.  Does this make them a bad christian?  Is there such thing as a bad christian?  Well, I have definately seen believers behave badly.  I myself have been down that road once or twice as those who know me will tell it.  However, that doesn't make me a bad christian, only a believer.  So, what would I consider myself?  Off the bat I'd say that I was a self for others type of person.  I'm not blind to the fact that there are others around me.  My friend David is a classic example of a self for others person.  So, what type of person is it that God desires us to be?  I would assume that most people would say God desires the self for others type, but I'm not so sure.  What about the apostle Paul?  What of king David?  Indeed, there are many examples of those self for self personalities whom God has used to further His kingdom.  That's what He does.  So, to put limits on God to claim that He only deals with self for others types I believe would be a mistake on our part. 

30Then Jesus answered and said: “A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, who stripped him of his clothing, wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. 31“Now by chance a certain priest came down that road. And when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. 32“Likewise a Levite, when he arrived at the place, came and looked, and passed by on the other side. 33“But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was. And when he saw him, he had compassion. 34“So he went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine; and he set him on his own animal, brought him to an inn, and took care of him. 35“On the next day, jwhen he departed, he took out two denarii, gave them to the innkeeper, and said to him, ‘Take care of him; and whatever more you spend, when I come again, I will repay you.’36“So which of these three do you think was neighbor to him who fell among the thieves?”37And he said, “He who showed mercy on him.”Then Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”
Luke 10: 30 - 37 NKJV

Going by Jesus' parable of the good samaritan, what type of personality would you describe this Levite as?  How about the priest?  Both thought nothing of crossing to the other side of that road and ignoring the wounded man.  They didn't want to get involved.  I get it.  Does that mean that they were poor examples of believers?  I wouldn't say that.  What I would say is that in that moment each chose to pass by a man in need.  Not a personality trait...but a choice made in the moment.  That, my friends is not a good example of a self for self person.  If that were the case then each of us would be in that catagory as well.  What we can see in this example is how God used each man in His plan.  Now, I believe that it is Gods desire that all of His children would display a self for others, but He more than anyone knows our own hearts.  After all, He created us.  So, would you say that God Himself has displayed a self for self or a self for others?  Without a doubt, I'm sure that most people would say that God is a self for others.  But wait, isn't He a jealous God?  Could it be that God is both self for self AND self for others?  I don't think that this is too far fetched at all.  After all, don't we see the two sides of God in the scriptures?  As my friend is so apt at reminding us, how would we even know the good side of God if He had not also displayed His self for self side?  If we, as His children, were created in our Fathers image do we not share His characteristics as well?  I'd think so.  So, when we're assured that Christ Jesus lives through us, we display His traits as well {Galations 2:20}.  There is no doubt others around us would never see the love of God if not through those He dwells in.

~Scott~

No comments: