Sunday, March 10, 2019

Someone Elses Mess



Forgiveness is not about forgetting. It is about letting go of another person's throat.”
― Wm. Paul Young, The Shack

I know a man who lives a daily struggle with his youngest son for the respect he feels a father deserves from his own son.  The trouble is, this mans own behaviors are, at times, indicative of just why his son would feel the way that he does.  This brought me to a interesting question, how far will we allow others to control our own thoughts and emotions?  There is a saying out there about not letting others rent space in your head.  If we're to believe this to be true, then there are plenty of us who should walk around each and every day with a big "For Rent" sign on our own forheads.  I'm not saying that most people are gullible...but.  In those moments where I have allowed the thoughts and emotions of those around me to dictate how it is that I felt, I lost out on much of the happiness which God had intended for me to enjoy.  Yes, that's how I look at it.  Of course, if I spend all of my time worrying about how others feel, how is it that I can focus on what it is that is really important?  What is it that God is working in me through this person?  From my own experience, when I'm occupied with how someone else is reacting to any given situation, then I might just be missing what God is working through me FOR that persons benefit.  Perhaps God is exemplifying Himself through me so that others will see Him.  Who am I to keep His Spirit in me under wraps?  Remember, if Jesus had not come in the form of man, we never would have seen God. 

24And suddenly a great tempest arose on the sea, so that the boat was covered with the waves. But He was asleep. 25Then His disciples came to Him and awoke Him, saying, “Lord, save us! We are perishing!” 26But He said to them, “Why are you fearful, O you of little faith?” Then He arose and rebuked the winds and the sea, and there was a great calm.27So the men marveled, saying, “Who can this be, that even the winds and the sea obey Him?”
Matthew 8: 24 - 27 NKJV

I have a question for everyone who has ever rented out space in their own heads.  What is it that God wanted that other person to see through you?  After all, it is His Spirit who lives through us {Galations 2:20}.  What is it that God is desiring that others see in us?  I'll tell you what...HIM!  That's right, each and every day Gods own desire is that He would be visible through His children.  It's really not that hard considering we are just vessels for His Spirit to live through.  I'll admit that there have been more than a few occassions where I've blocked out whatever it was that God may have been trying to show others through me.  Being in union with Him means that we are His outstretched hands.  Whatever it is that God chooses to do, He can and usually does through us.  How wonderful a world it is when we realize the truth of Christ Jesus in us and that He exemplifies Himself through us...and others.  Of course, all of this is done for our own benefit and joy...and for His glory.  I think back to those men in that boat on the sea of Galilee.  Tossed about by the whims of nature, these men probably felt that Jesus in some way was oblivious to their surroundings.  Nothing could be further from the truth!  For there is never a moment when Jesus is not intimately involved in our own lives.  Not only that, but in the lives of those around us as well.  There may come a time when that person whom we struggle with will proclaim..."Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him?"  That is the glory of Christ Jesus in us.

~Scott~

No comments: