Saturday, March 30, 2019

The Forgotten Sex



27So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Genesis 1: 27 NKJV

I ran across something on the news the other day which made me laugh.  It seems that two hard charging U.S. Air Force pilots were moaning over their missed opportunity at making the cut for the Thunderbirds demonsration team.  Well, almost everyone knows that the "T Birds" circle the globe demonstrating the capabilities of our fighter aircraft and the pilots who fly them.  I always enjoy their shows.  Anyway, these two fighter jocks were understandably upset over not being chosen to fly with the air forces best.  I guess I could have forgiven them their dissapointment had they simply acknowledged that they themselves missed their opportunity...but no.  These two yahoos were complaining over the fact that a (gasp!) WOMAN was chosen over them.  From listening to these two you might have thought there was no such thing as womens rights.  Women shouldn't be in the military...in combat...blah blah blah.  This isn't the first time I have come across this attitude.  Every day I have the opportunity to see just how far we've come as far as a society.  Not only that, how far we've come when it comes to realizing how we ourselves were created in our heavenly Fathers image.  It's not just myself who the Lord created, but each and every person who ever walked Gods creation.  Yet, we all too often forget this truth.  This might shock more than a few people, including those who know me well.  See, there is nothing special about me besides the fact of who I am in Christ Jesus.  See, it is Christ who lives through us today {Galations 2:20}.  Of course, that means that He lives through EVERYONE today.  Black, white male and female, it is in Christ where we all share common ground.  Now, as two butt hurt air force pilots found out, some of us have a few more skills than others.  I have a good friend who is a whiz at working on cars, great.  As for me, I'm not that guy.  I have another friend who excells at hunting.  Again, I'm not that guy.  So, does that make me somehow lesser than my friends?  Absolutely not!  As my mother used to say, "He puts his clothes on the same way you do!" 

10Who can find a virtuous wife? For her worth is far above rubies. 11The heart of her husband safely trusts her;So he will have no lack of gain.
Proverbs 31:  10 - 11 NKJV

I have another friend who is fond of saying that we have more in common with each other than we have differences.  Amen to that.  I grew up in a generation where it was commonplace to relegate ones wife to a lower status.  My own father had more than a few arguments with my mom when it came to my mother working.  My dads response was typical of men of his day.  No wife of his was going to go out and find a job!  See, the more that he resisted her efforts to be her own person, the more control he placed over her.  I guess that's what it's all about after all, how much we can place others beneath ourselves.  If only we would take a look through the filter of our heavenly Father before we make up our minds on how we see those around us.  If God viewed us the same way we view others what would He see?  Would He see a self righteous person more intent on placing others below him?  Perhaps.  I'll tell you one thing, that is NOT how I want God to see me.  Of course, it's not how God ultimately sees me.  See, God sees me for who I am in Christ Jesus.  I'm no longer that sinner in filthy rags who constantly needs to remind God for forgiveness.  No, for I'm assured that Jesus Himself became sin on my behalf {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  Not only me, but all who have come to know Him as well.  That means men and women...everyone.  The gospel of Christ is not gender based.  It goes deeper than that.  Yes, we were created by God with certain characteristics and features, but all in all we are one in Christ who lives through us.  This might not ring true to that diehard christian who still believes that his wife should be remain beneath him and be the "good wife."  This is far from the plans God has for our marriage institution.  For as we are now one with Him, so are we one with our spouse.

21And the LORD God caused a deep sleep to fall on Adam, and he slept; and He took one of his ribs, and closed up the flesh in its place. 22Then the rib which the LORD God had taken from man He made into a woman, and He brought her to the man. 23And Adam said: “This is now bone of my bones And flesh of my flesh; She shall be called Woman, Because she was taken out of Man.”24Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and bek joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.
Genesis 2: 21 - 24 NKJV

~Scott~

No comments: