Saturday, March 6, 2021

Cherry Pickers




 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits, whether they are of God; because many false prophets have gone into the world.

1 John 4: 1 NKJV 


There was a discussion in our group this past week about what has become a common practice in modern Christianity.  That is, placing one meaning into scripture which might not belong.  The world calls this cherry picking words in order to make them fit your narrative.  It's a good story if you can sell it.  As I go through scripture, I've some across many verses which the mainstream church may not recognize as the true meaning of the verse.  Instead, they will attach a different meaning of the verse to fit their own teachings.  As a example, I take the apostle Paul's writing in Galatians concerning Christ Jesus in us {Galatians 2:20}.   Now, the way I see this passage, Paul is referring to the Spirit of Christ living in each of us.  However, there are far too many Christian pastors and leaders out there who insist that what Paul was speaking to only applied to him.  That is, what Paul recognized was the Spirit of Christ in him.  For many pastors, this is where the story ends.  Paul recognized Jesus in him, but the rest of us are still far too stained with our sin to ever have Jesus in us.  Have you ever heard a pastor claim that?  I have.  If we stick to this view, then we will never have the opportunity to be united with Christ Jesus.  The prayer of Jesus in the garden was that we would be one with He and the Father {John 17:21}.  I take that as confirmation of Paul's passage in Galatians.  However, many pastors read this prayer of Jesus and proclaim that this is what our eternity will look like after the return of Jesus.  Really?  The way I see it, that prayer of Jesus has already been answered if we are of the mind to see Christ in us.  


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2:20 NKJV 


A good friend of mine who has been on the inside of the pastor profession has provided me with many perspectives of how scriptures are viewed by those who teach them.  He refers to this as a persons "filter" or point of view.  Indeed, our own life experiences and what we have learned can have a dramatic affect on how we ourselves see scripture.  If I asked a child who has suffered through a abusive parent about a verse of forgiveness I might get a different perspective than the one I have known.  If I were to ask that same child about verses on a God that loves and forgives, they might not see too many which show God in such a way.  Now, if someone were to ask me if I recognize verses which show the Fathers love and mercy, I could name a few.  One which quickly come to mind is 1 John 4:8 (God is love).  So, it is easy to see how our life experiences, attitudes or even what we've been taught about Christianity can influence how we see scripture.  In response to many pastors not seeing the true meaning of the writing of Paul, this is the thinking which has been taught in seminary schools for generations.  In fact, if you listen to more than a few Sunday sermons you will soon discover how many pastors view scripture.  Knowing this, it's obvious why far too many church leaders might discount scripture which does not fit their view.  In the end this can be harmful as a alternate view of the bible is all too often taught.  Bu there is hope through all of this.  How did I come to realize the truth of the teachings of Paul?  By testing the spirits.  By seeing past what I was being told and to see the truth of Christ in me.  This revelation comes only from the Father, as it did for Paul {Galatians 1:15-16}.  Each of us has the ability to look past our own experiences to the true meaning of what we are reading.  If we listen closely, God will reveal what He is telling us.  


~Scott~ 

No comments: