Sunday, March 14, 2021

Gods Playlist




Speaking to one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord.
Ephesians 5: 19 NKJV 

I pondered for awhile just what this mornings topic was going to be.  Then, the inspiration hit me after a email from a friend on the topic of Christian music.  Now, he and I have gone around and around on this topic more than once.  I'll admit that my own viewpoint on this issue is biased from the time I have spent in various mainstream churches.  Where you walk in each week to a playlist of selected hymns and songs which hopefully will engage the congregation in the topic of that mornings sermon.  Let's call this Gods playlist.  A good friend of mine made the comment more than a few years ago while in church that he would love to hear a few Christian hymns to the tune of a little classic rock music.  Of course, his idea was not taken seriously, but he had a point.  Is our praise and worship music supposed to be from a scripted list of songs, or are we allowed to sing praises to the Lord in whatever way moves our own hearts?  I believe that both praise and worship of God begin in the very same place, that is in the hearts of the believer.  I have a pretty good selection of old Promise Keepers music, which I play throughout my day.  A good friend said it right recently when he described the awesome sound of all of those men in stadiums across the nation singing praise to the Lord.  Never once when I attended one of those conferences did I hear the question, "Is this song appropriate according to scripture?"  No, we simply sang out what we were feeling in our hearts.  I am not a huge supporter of those who would deny a certain song simply because it does not represent a certain point of view.  Remember, the Nazi's burned books that represented views they disagreed with.  Have we come to the point where we ignore music because it doesn't fit a scriptural narrative?  I certainly hope not.  

Therefore by Him let us continually offer the sacrifice of praise to God, that is, the fruit of our lips, giving thanks to His name.
Hebrews 13: 15 NKJV 

One of my all time favorite Christian songs happens to be "He has made me glad" sung by the Promise Keepers Maranatha band.  Why is this?  Well, because it speaks to the truth of how I feel in the presence and worship of the Lord.  It makes me happy that Jesus would love me enough to take my sin upon Himself {2 Corinthians 5:21}.  It makes me happy that Jesus would deal a death blow to the sin which had burdened me for so long {Romans 6:6-11}.  Above all, it makes me happy that Jesus Himself lives in me today {Galatians 2:20}.  I am glad because I am all which Jesus is.  I am one with He and the Father.  So, why can't I sing about how happy this makes me?  Should I disavow this song since it does not represent a form of the teaching of the gospel of Jesus?  That is a dangerous road indeed.  As I've said, I believe that praise and worship for the Lord begins in the hearts of believers.  Lauren Daigle recently released another song which I love titled "You say."  This song speaks to me because it is affirmation of how God sees me in His eyes.  Of course, it does not conform to teaching a viewpoint of the scripture...so should we discount it?  If we were to ask the author of this song, I believe that she would say that she simply sang of what her heart was feeling in the moment.  Truly a good worship song. 

But the hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshippers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for the Father is seeking such to worship Him. 
John 4: 23 NKJV 

~Scott~ 

No comments: