Thursday, March 25, 2021

Jailbreak

 




Now the 'He ascended,' what is it except that He first descended also into the lower parts of the earth.

Ephesians 4: 7  Concordant New Testament 


I'm going to make a observation that might make more than a few Christians uncomfortable.  In fact, some of you might downright question what I am suggesting.  That's ok, for I have it on good authority that these events are true.  What would you say if I told you that those who were deemed unworthy of the Lords eternal presence were somehow suddenly forgiven and shown the mercy of a God they had up until then refused to proclaim?  What would you say if that same grace was bestowed upon those who refused to see Christ Jesus for who He was, that He has indeed come in the flesh {1 John 4: 2}.  Would you wonder why God would redeem someone who refused to believe the deity of Jesus? {Romans 10:9}  I myself, when I first read these scriptures, wondered if they were indeed true or simply a statement of the authors opinion.  Because I've been instructed in what I need to do to ensure myself a seat at the Lords table.  Paul lays it out clearly for us in Romans what we as believers must do in order to be saved.  To confess the Lord Jesus and thus believe in our hearts that God raised Him from the dead.  That's it.  We do that, and our future with the Lord is guaranteed right?  Of course, it's in the scriptures so it must be true?  Don't worry, I'm not here to upset the theological apple cart, only to suggest something which many Christians who feel a need to "work" for their own salvation might have overlooked.  While I agree with Paul in his requirements for our own salvation, I want to take it a step further.  I want to make a few well intentioned Christians uneasy.  First off, I get the entire striving for salvation thing.  I was once there with the rest of you fighting my flesh for a ticket at Gods table.  They said I needed to believe...I believed.  They said that I needed to confess the Lord Jesus...I did my part.  Therefore, I was in...right?  But then I find out that someone who hadn't walked the salvation path like I had was going to be seated at the same table as me?  What's with that?  The answer, in a nutshell, is that Gods mercy knows no bounds.


But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved).

Ephesians 2: 4 - 5 NKJV 


I get that more than a few Christians might be uncomfortable with sharing salvation with some who they "feel" does not deserve it.  Yet, who am I to tell God who He invites into His party?  When you get down to brass tacks, if not for Christ Jesus, NOBODY would deserve the salvation they now cherish and wear like some kind of jeweled crown.  It is by the love and mercy of the Father by which we owe our future with Him.  Not only us, but anyone else the Father chooses to invite into His presence as well.  This is where I got lost for a bit in my reading of Ephesians 4.  I'd heard the whispers of Jesus descending into the lower regions, but did not understand because I was not seeing it from the Fathers perspective.  Why would God, who loved us all, desire to free those He loved from captivity?  Why indeed.  Why did the father rejoice in the return of his wayward prodigal son? {Luke 15:32}  Because he who was lost had been found.  The son who was dead was once again alive.  Do we even need to wonder why it is that God would ensure that He restores as many of His children as possible?  Far from what we've been told, I believe that the desire of the Father is not to judge and condemn...but to restore.


"And he said to him, 'Son, you are always with me, and all that I have is yours.  It was right that we should make merry and be glad, for your brother was dead and is alive again, and was lost and is found."

Luke 15: 31 - 32 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: