Friday, March 12, 2021

The Calling



"Pardo's Push"
March 10, 1967

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.  Bu he who enters the door is the Shepherd of the sheep.  To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.  And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.  Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers."

John 10: 1 - 5 NKJV 


There is no higher calling.  I'm sure that far too many people have heard or used that catch phrase every now and then.  I believe I've even heard it on a few tv commercials.  Yet, what is that higher calling?  What is it that somehow leads us into a new direction?  Brigadier General Robin Olds once described his higher calling as his profession of flying his F-4 Phantom fighter over the skies of Vietnam.  It was Olds who saved a comrades life one day by pushing his damaged fighter out of enemy territory.  A higher calling indeed.  Robin Olds heard that voice, as did many others who found their higher calling.  I believe that this has less to do with a catch phrase and more to so with He whose voice we know all too well.  As a child knows the voice of a parent, so I believe that each of us knows and recognizes the voice of the Lord.  In fact, there is evidence out there that tells us that a newborn baby already recognizes the voice of its mother at birth.  I don't believe that it is that far of a stretch that we would know the voice of our heavenly Father by heart.  I also believe that this is possible through a intimate connection with the Father.  The apostle Paul immediately recognized this connection on that road to Damascus.  It was Paul who, after being blinded, immediately recognized the voice he was hearing {Acts 9:5}.  Keep in mind that Saul had been well trained in the Jewish faith.  He had been raised in the edicts and traditions of his religion.  Now, he was to receive his higher calling.  Why did God choose this time and place for which to convert the man Saul?  Only He knows the answer to that question.  What is unmistakable is that Paul became one of the greatest speakers of the gospel and truth of Christ Jesus mankind has ever known.  Paul definitely had found his higher calling.  


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."

Galatians 2: 20 NKJV 


What is the intimate connection which allows us to recognize the voice of the Father?  For that answer we turn once again to the apostle Paul.  For it was Paul who recognized that it was Jesus Himself who lived within him {Galatians 2:20}.  I'm convinced that this is exactly why he knew the voice of Christ on the road to Damascus.  The revealing of Christ within him was only the beginning of his journey {Galatians 1:15-16}.  Indeed, if Jesus lives within us, would we not know and recognize His voice?  I believe so.  There is much to be said for taking time from our day to wait and listen for the Fathers voice.  After all, it is God who created us, we know Him intimately {Genesis 2:7}.  From the moment He breathed life into us, He has been a part of us.  How could we not recognize our Fathers voice?  Well, more often than we may want to admit, we become distracted by other voices and events that surround us.  Does this mean that the Father isn't speaking to us?  No, just that we have become too preoccupied to listen.  I will never submit to the lie that because we cannot hear the Fathers voice that He has somehow abandoned us.  Friend, there has NEVER been a time when God has not been intimately involved in our lives.  I have found that in those times when I am frustrated at not hearing the Fathers voice it is because of my being occupied with other things and not listening for Him to speak to me.  James identified this when he spoke to being "quick" to listen {James 1:19}.  How many times have we learned that it is not the sharp words that produce results, but being able to listen?  When we seek the Father, we must first come prepared to hear Him.


So then, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath; for the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God.

James 1: 19 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: