Sunday, March 28, 2021

The Fire Down Below




 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was in the beginning with God.  All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.  In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.  And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. 

John 1: 1 - 5 NKJV 


It wasn't my intention this Sunday morning to step into the path of heresy and controversy, yet here I am.  I received a few compliments on Saturdays writing about heaven.  However, I believe that this was because I didn't rock the Christian theological boat all that much.  I still agree that there is a heaven, I'm just not sure we know where it is.  So, if there is indeed a heaven, can we also assume that there is it's direct opposite?  Ok, I'll just say it and get it out of the way...hell.  Indeed, we are reminded in various places in scripture that hell is that place reserved for those found not worthy to spend eternity in the Lords presence.  I take this to mean those who will not acknowledge Christ as Lord and Savior.  The apostle Paul lays it out for us in Romans that if we confess with our mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in our hearts that God raised Him from the dead that we would be saved {Romans 10:9}.  That is pretty cut and dry.  But I didn't choose this topic on hell this morning as a warning to wavering believers.  There is a reason that I chose the leading scripture that I did for this writing.  A reason that more than a few Christians may disagree with.  That is, if we agree that God created the heavens and the earth then we must also agree that He is responsible for creating hell as well?  That God Himself is responsible for the creation of Lucifer?  I don't feel that we can adhere to believing that God created the heavens and the earth and not also agree that the lake of fire we all fear was created by His spoken word as well.  Now, popular Christian teaching tells us that hell is that place where unbelievers spend their eternity.  I believe that they at least get this partly correct.  So, is a eternity in hell but a eternity apart from God?  That is a very hot, flaming place apart from God. Possibly.  Keep in mind that as creator of all which is seen AND unseen, that Gods fingerprints are upon all of creation.  Doesn't it seem like blasphemy that God would be in hell?  


And we have known and believed the love that God has for us.  God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him.  Love has been perfected in us in this: that we may have boldness in the day of judgement; because as He is, so are we in this world.  There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear, because fear involves torment.  But he who fears has not been made perfect in love.  We love Him because He first loved us. 

1 John 4: 16 - 19 NKJV 


God in hell?  I'll do you one better, what if all we have been told about hell isn't really correct?  Yes, it's been used to frighten more than a few believers to straighten up and behave, I get that.  But is this the reality of the underworld?  We're told that hell is a place of torment {Revelation 14:11}.  However, we're also told that there can be no torment with the Father {1 John 4:18}.  So is hell indeed a place of torment?  Well, let me lay it out for you to decide.  In the beginning God created all which is seen and unseen {Genesis 1:1}.  This would include the earth as we know it, heaven and...hell.  Pretty much everything we have ever known, good and bad, was created by the Father in the beginning.  So, if we agree that God indeed created hell, and if in the perfect love of the Father there is no fear nor torment, can there be torment in hell?  I realize that this digs up more than a few interesting questions for my readers, and you are free to post them in the comment section of this page.  I can understand that this may rock the boat of Christian theology.  Hell, I had a hard enough time coming to terms with it myself.  However, as I said, I simply present the facts as I see them.  Every believer need make their own decision on how they see God and His creation.  If I am accused of heresy, it wouldn't be the first time.  However, I refuse to see the Father from the viewpoint of fear and punishment.  If we abide in the perfect love of the Father, then that fear is a thing of the past.  


"You are worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honor and power; For you created all things, and by Your will they exist and were created."

Revelation 4: 11 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: