Sunday, May 30, 2021

A God Of Convenience

 




For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

2 Peter 4: 3 - 4 NKJV 


I've heard it more than a few times.  Someone, at some point, will become bored or disillusioned with the church which they are in and start searching for another church home.  Some will claim that they are searching for a church that "Fits their beliefs."  I've often wondered, what are the beliefs of these people?  To leave once something gets too uncomfortable?  I suppose that is the reason why there seems to be a church on every corner in whatever city you might be in.  Somewhere, there is a church who will preach God the way YOU want him preached.  If you prefer a traditional church service, there's a church for that.  If you prefer a new age church service, there's a church for that as well.  Is it just me, or has God suddenly become a God of popular opinion?  Because I will tell you, in any traditional church, eventually you will find something that will make you question why it is that you are there.  I'm guessing that it's human nature or something akin to it.  There have been times where I have questioned why I've stayed at my job for so long.  I've been in my share of churches, and there have been many times where I have come face to face with something in the church I didn't agree with.  The music was too loud, they didn't follow the bible as close as I wanted them too, The men's ministry was lacking, stay in any church long enough and you will find something that irritates you.  The reason for this is that churches, for the most part, are a man created system.  How wonderful it would be if I could walk into church on a Sunday and listen to the pastor talk about who we are in Christ.  Now, to me, THAT is a good church.  My itching ears were longing to hear about Jesus.  Thankfully we have a small group who gathers via video chat each Sunday to talk about all things Jesus.  Yet, I suppose that isn't for everyone.  Like I said, there are many other churches out there that satisfy many itching ears.  That many churches, however, does come with a down side. 


Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually.

1 Corinthians 12: 27 NKJV 


What is the down side to so many people darting back and forth between churches?  Well, all too often relationships suffer as a result.  I know that there are those out there who will say that it's "Just church," and that their friendships and relationships will not be affected.  Well, that isn't how it always happened in my experience.  I've been involved in more than a few churches where a change in pastors would bring a shift in the congregation as many would follow one pastor or another to their new church home.  I've been witness to pastors becoming so disgruntled over not being named head pastor that they up and left the church to start a new one of their own.  Does this sound like a sound reason to leave a church?  Is there ever a sound reason to walk away from a church?  I believe so.  I believe that if the Spirit leads us elsewhere because of what is being taught in a church, it is a sound reason.  Yet, in the end, we are the ones who decide where it is we will worship.  I make no secret of the fact that I have not stepped into a church to worship in over twelve years.  My reasons for doing this were personal to me, and I do not regret that decision I made.  For one of the results of my decision has been coming to know Jesus as I had never known Him before.  I have never been in a church where the Jesus I now know has been taught.  Jesus who lives in me {Galatians 2:20}.  I'll go out on a limb and say that I am not aware of any church which preaches the truth of Christ in us.  So, despite leaving the traditional church format, did I walk away from God?  No!  In fact, the exact opposite occurred, the revelation of who I am in Christ was revealed to me as I contemplated why it is I left the church.  I don't need a brick and mortar building to know who I am in Jesus.  Perhaps maybe one day someone will open a church and start preaching Christ in us.  Now, that's a church.  


Those who are leaving our churches aren't rejecting Jesus, just those who are representing Him badly

~Wayne Jacobsen~ 


~Scott~ 

No comments: