Sunday, May 9, 2021

Where Fellowship Leads




 But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. 

1 John 1: 7 NKJV 


I recall how Sunday used to be the day where we would reconnect with friends.  Sunday morning services were our chance to see those people we had not seen during the week or maybe longer still.  I remember how people in the congregation would walk around the sanctuary before the start of the service.  The aisles would be filled with fellowship and conversation.  I was thinking about this the other day as I read a article on the so called "fellowship of the new church."  Basically, how many believers have forsaken the church gatherings and turned to more traditional places in order to get their fellowship needs met.  Now, I can relate to this in a way because I am one of those who has taken to seeking fellowship in places outside of the traditional church walls.  On my frequent trips to the gym, I am often presented with the opportunity to speak my faith to others around me.  To date I haven't been kicked out of the gym for doing so.  I guess we could have seen this coming?  Granted, with the exodus of many once faithful church attendees forsaking the traditional church gatherings for something more, I'm guessing that it does not come as a surprise to many.  One thing I've noticed through all of this is that these once faithful church goers are not giving up on God, just the way He is being presented to them.  After all, who desires to follow a God who we have been told loves us yet hates who we are?  This is one of the big reasons I stopped attending church some years ago.  Ironically, it was through my fellowship with friends from my mainstream church days which led me into seeking to know Jesus in a more personal way than I ever had before.  Since then, we have sought and gathered into fellowship in places without pews.  Most notably, a fast food joint for our Sunday morning pre illegal virus shutdown gatherings.  This was our opportunity not only to reconnect with each other, but to invite others into our Jesus conversation as well.  Lately, our Sunday morning fellowships have been limited a bit to the online conference call type, but we await the day when we will once again gather in His name.  


Now all those who believe also were in the same place and had all things in common.  And they disposed of the acquisitions and the properties, and divided them for all, forasmuch as some would have had need.  Besides persevering day by day with one accord in the sanctuary, besides breaking bread home by home, they partook of nourishment with exultation and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor for the whole people.  Now the Lord added those being saved day by day in the same place.

Acts 2: 44 - 47, Concordant Translation 


One of my close friends had the habit before he was married of doing his bible readings and study at a local Starbucks coffee shop.  I know, not your typical place where you would expect to find yourself exposed to Jesus.  Nevertheless, he managed to create many a friendship from his times there which he continues to this day.  My point is this, our fellowship and speaking the truth of Christ has never been limited to the four walls of the local church.  I've pointed out on more than one occasion that one of the truest forms of church was that which we see from the early believers in Acts 2.  The closest I have seen to this was when many churches followed the small home group phase of some years ago.  That was a good start, but you were still expected to show up to church on Sunday come hell or high water.  Maybe that's what eventually turned people off about Sunday morning church, the expectation that you needed to be there.  I recall taking some flack when I would miss a Sunday or two because of other life situations.  You'd think that I had just committed the most vile heresy!  No, I simply grew tired of the same old routine.  Imagine how refreshing it was when our group of men decided to gather at that fast food joint on Sunday mornings for our own Jesus conversation.  No sermons, no offerings, no song and dance...just Jesus.  But it doesn't end there.  As I mentioned, lately my desire for fellowship has followed me into the local gym.  Indeed, I have met and found myself talking to more than a few believers.  Of course, being a believer in no way is the only prerequisite for my fellowship with my fellow gym goers.  I don't think that it's any secret that we were created as social beings in our Fathers own image {Genesis 1:27}.  Let us go where fellowship leads. 


Now you are the body of Christ, and members of a part.

1 Corinthians 12: 27, Concordant Translation 


~Scott~ 

No comments: