Saturday, May 8, 2021

Speaking To Gods Hate

 




In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him.  In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins. 

1 John 4: 9 - 10 NKJV 


As usual, I scanned the local radio channels this week as I made my way to work.  I find it funny that the more of the mainstream sermons I listen to, the more material I have as I write these pages of my blog.  This week was no exception.  I found myself interested in a few sermons in particular not for their uplifting value, but for the image of the Lord that they portrayed.  The first preacher spoke to the fact that God hates sinners.  Ok, I thought, if God hates sinners so much then why did He provide for Christ to become sin to take away their guilt? {2 Corinthians 5:21}  See, this entire God hates theme doesn't add up for me.  Maybe I just don't see it, of maybe it just isn't there at all.  We're told that the true nature of God is one of love and not hate {1 John 4:8}.  Yet this does not fall in line with what the mainstream church has been selling us for over two thousand years.  Now, I grew up going to one church or another, so I know first hand the message that comes from the pulpits.  The message that God hates sin and sinners, that all have sinned {Romans 3:23}.  That's right, all HAVE sinned, I won't argue that point.  However, I also refuse to accept that a loving God would desire for His children to be mired in a lifetime of sin.  Hence Christ Jesus.  For it is Jesus who, out of the Fathers love and mercy towards us, gave Himself that we would be free of the debt that sin brings.  So do the mainstream church pastors know this?  If so, why aren't more of them speaking to it?  I know that I would be jumping for joy in the pew on Sunday morning were I to hear the message that my sin was no longer an issue in Gods eyes.  Guess what...it isn't {Romans 6:11}.  What advantage is it for you to be continually mired in the belief that your sins will forever bring you to a place that is separate from God?  Is this something a loving God would want for you?  I think not.  Yet this is the continual message I hear from the faithful radio preachers each and every morning.  At least they're consistent.  


Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves to sin.  For he who has died has been freed from sin.  Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more.  Death no longer has dominion over Him.  For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.  Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 6: 6 - 11 NKJV 


I recently had the opportunity to watch the Netflix film Come Sunday.  It's the story of bishop Carlton Pearson, who lost his church simply for speaking to something that went against the message of the mainstream church.  His message?  There is no hell (GASP!)  To understand the truth which God supposedly revealed to bishop Pearson, we must think back once again to Gods one true nature.  Would a loving God condemn someone to hell even though they had never had the opportunity to hear of Him or His word?  Would a loving God condemn his child to hell period?  I tend to agree with bishop Pearson on this one.  Whatever side of the theological fence you sit on, you have to agree that if God is truly love, as we're assured that He is, then the last place which He would desire to see his children is in a place of utter torment.  Especially since the penalty for our punishment has already been paid by the finished work of Christ at the cross.  So, knowing this, how do you think God sees you?  Does He look upon you as someone who still carries that sin penalty?  Or, does He see you for who you truly are, His loved child freed from the sin you were once burdened with?  The apostle Paul helps us understand how it is that God looks upon us.  It is Paul who speaks to the truth of Christ in us {Galatians 2:20}.  When God looks at you...He sees His one and only Son.  That's the truth, no matter how some radio preacher tries to spin it.  


I don't need to punish people for sin.  Sin is it's own punishment, devouring you from the inside, it's not my purpose to punish it; it's my joy to cure it.

~William P. Young, The Shack 


~Scott~ 

1 comment:

Scotts Page said...

I am uplifted by a comment made by bishop Pearson in the film Come Sunday. As he was being questioned by the church hierarchy over his perceived heresy, bishop Pearson makes the comment, "If you could save your own father from hell, wouldn't you?" Ask yourself the same question about God. If He is indeed love and if He could save you from the torture of hell...wouldn't He?