Monday, May 31, 2021

The Forgotten

 




"But concerning the dead, that they rise, have you not read in the book of Moses, in the burning bush passage, how God spoke to him, saying, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'?  He is not the God of the dead but the God of the living."

Mark 12: 26 - 27 NKJV 


There is a time honored tradition for a soldier who dies in the battlefield.  Once the soldier is carried from his final battle, a makeshift memorial is left behind, that others may know who walked before them.  It's simple, really, merely a reminder that we never forget.  The soldiers rifle, helmet and dog tags are meant as a sign of prayer, to remember a fallen friend.  The soldiers boots, worn and used, are meant to signify his final march into battle.  For most of my life I have been somewhat of a amateur student of military history.  I have devoured many a book about our nations conflicts from the past.  I'm not a warmonger by any means, I'm simply interested in history.  It's an interest which, looking back, triggered a emotional reaction from my mother.  It seems one day while out shopping my mom decided to ask me what it was I wanted to do when I got older.  Well, up to this point I had read almost every military history book in the school library so to me the choice was simple.  I wanted to be a soldier.  Up until that point, I had never seen my mother come as close to crying as she did in that moment.  Back then I couldn't comprehend what she was thinking.  I mean, soldiers were honored and respected, right?  What I didn't realize back then was that my mom had endured the long years of watching television and seeing the reports coming out of Vietnam of the fighting there.  She had seen the flag draped coffins of American servicemen coming home on their final journey.  She didn't want that for her youngest son.  Like I said, all I do is read books.  I was reminded this memorial day weekend of the many young men and women who have given the ultimate sacrifice for their country.  In a way, giving ones life for their country has always been seen as one of the most noble acts one can do.  Not according to general George Patton, however.  It was Patton who was once quoted as saying, 'Make the other poor bastard give his life for his own country.'  I agree.  There is yet another quote which is significant, 'Only the dead have seen the end of war.'  Indeed, regional conflicts and armed skirmishes seem to have haunted human history for centuries.  Perhaps realizing that war is inevitable and thus preparing for it is our best defense as a nation.  


Only the dead have seen the end of war.

~Plato~ 


I've never known the loss of a family member to military service.  My own father did his bit in the navy, but he passed away years after leaving the frog corps.  The loss I have had to deal with in my life is the death of my parents and a few close friends.  It is inevitable that sooner or later death touches us all in one way or another.  How can we prepare for this?  Well, I believe that the best way to prepare for the end of our life in this world is to realize that it is indeed not the end of our life.  The apostle Paul assures us of this in Romans where he describes the work which Christ accomplished on the cross.  We're told that Jesus defeated death once and for all {Romans 6:9}.  Now, here's where too many people get tripped up.  Paul assures us that we LIVE with Christ {Romans 6:8, Galatians 2:20}.  As in the verse of Moses and the burning bush, Jesus IS our savior.  God IS our merciful Lord.  There is noting past tense about our life in Christ Jesus.  It is not something which we must wait for as a reward after our life here has ended.  No, our life in Christ Jesus is alive and well today.  If there were a battlefield cross that would signify what Jesus has accomplished, it would be that image of the cross which He bled and died upon.  Yet, as believers we do not need such artifacts to know what Jesus has done for us.  We know because the Lord has instructed us through His word.  In our hearts we know that we are His.  What better memorial is there to Jesus than in the very hearts of those who believe?  Of course, memorials are for the dead are they not?  Not likely for someone alive in Christ Jesus.  


Knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin.  For he who has died has been freed from sin.  Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more.  Death no longer has dominion over Him.  For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God.  Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Romans 6: 6 - 11 NKJV 


~Scott~ 

No comments: