Saturday, November 26, 2022

As Christ Loved The Church




 Now, I also, am saying to you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will be building My ecclesia, and the gates of the unseen shall not be prevailing against it.

Matthew 16: 18, Concordant New Testament 


Some who read this page might recall that I often refer to my experiences in the mainstream church to illustrate the differences between the church man built and the one which Christ Jesus is the head of.  When I speak of the mainstream church, I am speaking of the brick and mortar cathedrals which many a believer has centered their faith lives around for thousands of years.  This is was how I was raised in the faith.  My mother was a believer, and to her it was very important to be sitting in that pew on Sunday morning.  I can recall more than a few Sundays, as I got older, where it became a struggle for her to get her youngest son to accompany her to Gods house.  Such is the price of teenage resistance.  Yet over time even I recognized how important it was to sit in the pew on Sunday and give the Lord His due.  after all, He was the one who had given me all I had ever known.  I also refer to the mainstream church when I speak to the theology.  This is the teachings which many a Christian has either grown up with or become used to once inside the mainstream church.  Many churches have taken to referring to this theology as the "Core beliefs" of that particular church.  The recognition of Jesus as the One Son of God, that he died on the cross and was risen from the tomb three days later, these are typical core beliefs.  I get it.  Yet some time ago I began to ask myself a question.  Is this church which I have sat in Sunday after Sunday the church that Jesus loved?  Now, before you say that you know the answer to this question, consider that I am speaking of the mainstream church and all that goes with it.  Is this the church which Jesus loves?  I would say that as a whole, this is NOT the church which Jesus loves.  I would go so far as to say that this is not even the church of which Jesus is the head of.  For that we need to strip away much of what we have  to know as the mainstream church.  


And He is the Head of the body, the ecclesia, Who is Soveriegn, Firstborn from among the dead, that in all He may be becoming.

Colossians 1: 18, Concordant New Testament 


We see the word ecclesia written in more than a few places in scripture.  It is here where we separate the brick and mortar mainstream church from the church which Christ sits at the head.  In many respects, there are but a few differences, but they are key differences.  When we speak of ecclesia, we are speaking of an assembly of people.  It is this assembly of believers which Jesus is the head of.  Whatever church you choose to sit in, if you are a believer then it is Jesus who is the head of the assembly of believers.  Now, does that assembly include such mainstream church trappings as praise and worship bands, multiple ministries and a church theology which seems to ignore the truth of the indwelling Christ?  Many Christians realize that Jesus was no big fan of the Pharisees of His day, for these Pharisees looked upon themselves as the anointed leaders of the traditional Jewish faith.  I'm sure that it would have galled the Pharisees had Jesus publicly proclaimed Himself as the head of the church.  This carpenters son from Galilee was stepping on their toes.  For His part, Jesus made it a point to call out the Pharisees publicly for their arrogance {Luke 11:37-44}.  Jesus criticized the Pharisees for their arrogance {Luke 11:43}.  He criticized the Pharisees and men of the law for their mistreatment of others {Luke 11:46}.  Judging from Jesus' critique of the Pharisees, I doubt that He would have little patience for the politics and business practices of todays mainstream church.  But for His ecclesia, for the assembly of believers in His name, Jesus sits at the very head of His church.  The foolishness of man is the construction of ornate temples of worship, never recognizing that it is the gathering of believers in His name that is the true church.  


But the most high is not dwelling in what is made by hands, according as the prophet is saying, "Heaven is My throne, yet the earth is a footstool for My feet.  What kind of house shall be built for Me?" the Lord is saying, or what is the place of My stopping?"  Is it not My hand that does all of these things?'  

Acts 6: 48-50, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~  

No comments: