Sunday, November 27, 2022

The Days That Define Us




 For this I entreat the Lord thrice, that it should withdraw from me.  And He has protested to me, "Sufficient for you is My grace, My power in infirmity is being perfected."  With the greatest relish, then, will I rather be glorying in my infirmities, that the power of Christ should be tabernacling over me.  Wherefore I delight in infirmities, in outrages, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake, whenever I may be weak, then I am powerful.  

2 Corinthians 12: 8-10, Concordant New Testament


I was talking the other day with a friend about how we are often in need of prayer and fellowship when life events bring about stress and anxiety.  We agreed that this is a crucial need in the family of Christ, one that is all too often overlooked by others.  As for myself, I've had a rough few weeks, but I am reconciled by the fact that I have a Lord and Savior who is always intent on listening to my prayers.  I've known many a Christian who has been confused by the fact that they face difficult times in their lives once they came to accept Jesus.  As if knowing Jesus would somehow guarantee that life would become easier after that.  Sorry, it doesn't work out that way, in my experience anyway.  If we're to look upon the words of Jesus, we will also begin to see that Jesus is also well aware that life will bring us struggles {John 16:33}.  I learned some time ago that many people have the wrong understanding of the struggles which we all too often encounter.  It wasn't that long ago that I viewed these times in my life as something for Jesus to remove from my life.  I mean, He loves me, right?  Why would Jesus desire for me to encounter such situations knowing the effect they had not only on me but on my overall health as well?  The apostle Paul provides us with a good understanding of how Jesus looks upon these times in our lives.  Paul, as we know, had his own share of difficulties in life.  The persecutions he endured surely took their toll.  Paul once asked the Lord to remove a situation from his life that was obviously bringing him discomfort (Most commonly refer to this as a thorn in his flesh).  What was Jesus' response to Paul?  Did He remove the thorn from Paul's flesh?  No, we see that Jesus advises him that "My grace is sufficient for you" {2 Corinthians 12:8}.  I think of it this way, can any situation I am encountering ever take me away from the love and mercy Christ Jesus?  No.  While this may be encouraging to some, a lot can still be said for the fellowship of the brethren as we go through lifes struggles.


Two is better than one because there is better reward for them in their toil; for if they fall, one can raise up his partner; But woe to him, the one who falls when there is no second person to raise him up.  Also, if two lie down together it is warm for them, yet for one, how can he keep warm?  And if somebody can overpower him who is single, then two can stand firm in front of him who attacks.  A threefold thread cannot quickly be pulled apart. 

Ecclesiastes 4: 9-12, Concordant Old Testament 


There is something to be said of fellowship.  There is something to be said of meaningful fellowship.  The Lord Himself has declared that it is not good for man to be alone {Genesis 2:18}.  I really don't believe that it's a far stretch to also include women into this definition as well.  It's no secret that we are social creatures who more often than not gravitate to the fellowship of others.  We see this in men gathering for golf games while women often gather around more social venues as well.  How does all of this fit into those hectic times in our lives?  Because more often than not the company of others around us where we can relate our experiences helps us in dealing with all that life throws our way.  Did Jesus travel alone in His ministry?  No, He had a group of brethren who shared in His experiences daily.  I believe that the popularity which we saw in the Promise Keepers men's conference movement was in a large part due to the fellowship men experienced with each other.  I was witness to more than a few of these gatherings.  I feel that where the church has dropped the ball, among many places, is in the gathering of the brethren.  I'm not talking about a Sunday sermon gathering, but a gathering of believers with the intent of sharing life.  I used to be a part of such a group.  We would meet each Sunday at a local fast food joint and just talk about the Lord and what was happening in our lives.  I truly miss those gatherings.  The covid scare of the past few years reduced what was once a gathering in Christ to wondering what might have been.  


~Scott~ 



No comments: