Sunday, November 20, 2022

Who Can Compare?

 




And Yahweh Elohim said: It is not good for the human to be alone by himself.  I shall make for him a helper as his compliment. 

Genesis 2: 18, Concordant Old Testament 


I've been through a lot lately, and this week was no exception.  Normally, when I go through stressful situations like this I can count on getting some type of cold or illness.  The old immune system becomes overwhelmed.  Thankfully this time it wasn't that bad.  But you'd think I'd learn that it doesn't need to be this way.  If living as Jesus tells us anything, it's that a stress-free life is impossible.  It also tells us that whatever comes along, we face it as Christ who is in us {Galatians 2:20}.  I was thinking about this this week as I pondered this situation I found myself in.  What if I had a helper, an assistant if you will?  Scripture tells us that even the Lord God recognizes that it's not a good thing for man to be alone {Genesis 2:18}.  Yes, the Lord who created me knows that I, too, require a helper at times.  My married friends joke that I live the good life being single.  Missing from my life are the honey do lists and other things couples do to keep life simple.  As it is, I'm free to do whatever I please so long as it's all legal.  Do I long for the opportunity to share my life's moments and responsibilities with a helper the Lord has chosen for me?  Of course.  I tell my married buddies that they are the fortunate ones.  They are the ones whom God has blessed with that helper in their lives.  It's not that I came up short in any way, it's just that God has blessed me with a different path so far.  That's the way that I see it anyway.  Do I still believe that the Lord will bless me with that helper?  Absolutely!  I can never give up on that belief.  In my heart I know that with God anything is possible {Matthew 19:26}.  


Therefore a man shall forsake his father and his mother; he will cling to his wife, and both of them will be one flesh.

Genesis 2: 24, Concordant Old Testament


I have to say that I have grown up in an era where the institution of marriage has been seen as one of a disposable opportunity.  Make no mistake, this is what we have made it.  My own parents were divorced when I was a young boy.  I grew up in a single parent household, never knowing my own father all that well.  Unfortunately, this happens far too often in our society.  Left in the rubble of many broken homes are the lives of the children we leave behind.  We become so obsessed with the 'he said, she said' of parental conflicts that the children all too often take a back seat as parents battle it out.  I know of what I speak.  So, every time I began to think of the opportunity the Lord will present to me of that helper comparable to me, I also think of what I've been through to get here.  I count it a blessing that I have friends who have placed a high value on their own marriages over the years.  When asked how he and his wife had survived for so many years, one of my friends told me, 'Divorce was never an option.'  If only everyone shared this view.  I'm not complaining.  I'm not saying that my life is somehow in a bad way because God has not yet blessed me with a helper.  I'm saying that it would be a blessing to share my life with someone the Lord has chosen.  That is the essence of marriage after all, that the two become one flesh.  


Husbands, be loving your wives according as Christ also loves the ecclesia, and gives Himself up for it's sake. 

Ephesians 5: 25, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~ 

No comments: