Saturday, February 10, 2024

Gambling On God

 




You shall not probe 'Yahweh your Elohim as you probed at Massah.

Deuteronomy 6: 16, Concordant Old Testament 


I have a friend who, while serving in Vietnam, would often look into the sky at night and whisper a prayer to the Lord.  That prayer was that if God would allow him to return home that he would strive to be a better person.  Well, I'm not certain if his prayer swayed the Lord one way or another, but he indeed made it home and has been a wonderful Chrisitan influence in my life.  Don't get me wrong, I have also gambled with God plenty of times in my life.  I have vowed many times that if the Father were to work in my favor, that I would endeavor to be a better person.  Not that I'm a bad guy, but it wasn't anything which I promised the Lord by which I became the man that I am today.  The reason I became the man I am is by the truth of the Lord Jesus Christ in me, not by some spur of the moment radical request.  Yet there are many well meaning people out there who continue to gamble with God.  Promising this, that and the other thing if God will only work in their favor.  Of course, we're told in scripture that we should never indulge in such behaviors {Deuteronomy 6:16}.  In other words, we should never put our Lord God to the test.  Of course, in the heat of life's situations, this all too often goes out the window as we turn to the One who can help us out of whatever jam we're in.  Now, I have no issue with offering prayers to the Lord for His assistance, but to bargain with God for His help?  C'mon man.  As many believers already know, the Father is more than delighted to help us in time of need.  We need not strike a bargain with Him in order for Him to hear our request.  But I believe, based on my own experience, that I know why so many bargain with the Lord so often.  See, when those life situations come at us, in our hearts we know that we should be in communication with the Father.  Yet, many people often feel unworthy of the Fathers attention, so we bargain with Him in hopes that our offer will entice Him to consider our requests.  Obviously, this is not only the wrong approach, but the wrong image we have of the Father.  


And we know and believe the love which God has in us.  God is love, and he who is remaining in love is remaining in God, and God is remaining in him.  

First Epistle Of John 4: 8, Concordant New Testament 


The image we often have of our heavenly Father is one of a strict overseer looking down upon us from heaven.  Through teachings, we surmise that God is watching over us every moment to take account of the bad behaviors we are engaging in.  WE KNOW the bad behaviors we are doing, so we assume that we are not worthy of the Fathers attention.  This is nothing but institutional church BS!  When I was lost in a lifestyle of visiting strip clubs in town, I would often feel as if I was a second class citizen in the Fathers eyes.  God saw my behaviors, and He disapproved of them AND me.  How wrong I was.  Lest we forget, it is Christ Jesus who saved us from the torment and judgement of our sins {Paul To The Romans 5:8, Paul To The Ephesians 2:8}.  Knowing this, we can be assured that God is not waiting for us to mess up in order to pass His judgement upon us.  That judgement has already come and gone!  The one true image of the Father is one of love {First Epistle Of John 4:8}.  God does not hold our actions against us, but delights in His children coming unto Him.  If you think of it, we bargain with God for something He already has for us...His love and mercy.  Also understand that our Father knows that we will fall off the wagon from time to time.  After all, He created us in His image {Genesis 1:27}.  The best bet we have is to see God for who He is instead of who we've been told He is for so long.  God has shown His love for us continually.  Our own self image all too often prevents us from realizing who we are in Him.  Paul the apostle spoke to our true identity in Galatians.  Paul proclaimed that it is Christ Jesus in whom we now dwell {Paul To The Galatians 2:20}.  WE, are in Him!  We are not only worthy, but fully in Christ.  


~Scott~ 

No comments: