Sunday, February 11, 2024

Mansions On The Hill




 In My Fathers house are many abodes; yet not if I would have told you, for I am going to make ready a place for you. 

Johns Account 14: 2, Concordant New Testament 


Growing up, I was taught to believe that my good works, kindness and faith here on earth would secure for me a elegant "Mansion" in the Lords heaven someday.  After all, Jesus proclaimed that the Fathers house had many such mansions {Johns Account 14:2}.  Certainly this was our reward for being good and faithful servants?  Possibly.  But, as with all scriptures which have been interpreted by men, this passage does not tell the entire story.  First of all, many translations refer to these words of Jesus and include the word mansion, which we interpret to be a large, elegant dwelling.  However, the Greek word for mansions occurs once again in John 14:23, where it is interpreted as an "abode."  When we look closer at this passage, the word we read as mansions is referred to in the Greek as a dwelling or to abide.  Of course, this blows a whole in the entire theology which I was taught as a young believer.  If we listen to the words of Jesus more closely, He is speaking of a dwelling or a place of rest in the Father.  The word abide is spoken often by Jesus in the New Testament {Johns Account 14:2, Johns Account 15:4, Johns Account 15:7, First Epistle Of John 2:6}.  Suddenly, what we knew as a mansion has now become a safe place for us to rest.  Is this indeed what Jesus intended us to believe?  I believe so.  For when we think of mansions we think of wealth, money and influence.  Anyone who owns a mansion has made it, they are one of the elite.  Perhaps this is why the church continues to translate this passage as a reward for those who know and are faithful to Christ.  If I do what I'm supposed to do, I could have my own heavenly mansion some day.  This is why many Christians have the image of heaven as one of golden streets lined with immaculate mansions.  I know I did.  But, what if we got it all wrong?  


Remain in Me.  I also am in you.  According as the branch can not be bringing forth fruit from itself, if it should be remaining in the grapevine, thus neither you, if you should be remaining in Me. 

Johns Account 15: 4, Concordant New Testament 


Why would Jesus speak to a mansion reward and yet leave our union with He and the Father out of the equation?  So, we inherit our mansion in heaven due to our faithfulness, then what?  Do we take into account the words of the apostle Paul when he spoke that our salvation has absolutely NOTHING to do with our own efforts {Paul To The Ephesians (2) 8-10}?  So, if our salvation is the gift of the Father, how is it that our so called holy efforts here on earth land us a mansion reward in heaven?  Anyone else see the error in this teaching?  There is a reason that Jesus often spoke of the word "abide" in His teachings.  We're told that nobody comes to the Father but through the Son {Johns Account 14:6}.  How can one come to the Father unless they abide in Jesus?  Just because I have a fancy mansion doesn't mean that I am in the Father.  Jesus speaks of Gods children remaining in Him on more than a few occasions {Johns Account 14:20, Johns Account 17:21}.  If you ask my opinion, I believe that we have gotten the context of John 14:2 all wrong.  Jesus was not speaking of our heavenly reward, but of our union with He and the Father.  The Father in Christ, the Son in the Father, Jesus in us and we in Him {Johns Account 14:20}.  Far from being our heavenly reward, we live this union life today.  Paul speaks to the dwelling of Christ in him {Paul To The Galatians 2:20}.  Jesus in the Father, the Father in Him and ourselves in Christ.  Suddenly, those mansions on the hill have become the Lords children abiding in Him.  


"I am the grapevine.  You are the branches.  He who is remaining in Me, and I in him, this one is bringing forth much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.  

Johns Account 15: 5, Concordant New Testament 


~Scott~  

No comments: