Wednesday, April 3, 2024

Raising The Dead (Addictions Choice)




 Be observing accurately, then, brethren, how you are walking, not as unwise, but as wise, reclaiming the era, for the days are wicked, Therefore do not become imprudent, but understand what the will of the Lord is. 

Paul To The Ephesians 5: 15-17, Concordant New Testament


It's been some time since I wrote in this series, but recent events reminded me that the struggle is far from over for many.  Recently, our Oregon governor signed into law what is thought to be a reversal of the infamous measure 110, which decriminalized possession quantities of narcotics in Oregon.  Narrowly passed by the wisdom of the voters, measure 110 was deemed to be a "Pathway to recovery" for many addicted to drugs.  However, what actually happened was more rampant narcotics use than we have seen before.  So, what are my personal feelings on these drug addicted zombies?  Well, I am in a unique position to see the affects of these failed policies every day in the public eye.  I see the piles of used needles.  I see the violent behaviors.  Above all, I see the continuing cycle which repeats itself with every hit of these "Legal" drugs.  And so, my feelings over these addicts are that they have made a choice that they are living.  Years ago, I made choices to deal with negative situations in my life in a negative manner.  I chose a food addiction to make me feel better.  As a result of that choice, my struggle today is to overcome the results of those bad choices.  The difference between me and the addict on the streets is that I realized that I made bad choices and decided to do something positive about it.  While there have been success stories of those who have overcome drug addictions, they are few and far between.  Every day on the streets of Portland one can see the effects of so many who fell victim to bad choices.  So how is it that we, as believers, should pray for these unfortunate souls?  Well, one thought which I have pondered more than a few times is that the Father would open the eyes of the afflicted to the effects of their wrong choices.  When I began to see the effects of my bad choices, no excuses in the world would justify what I had been doing to myself.  Scripture tells us that these flesh bodies of ours are indeed a temple to the spirit within us {Paul To The Corinthians(1) 6:19-20}.  In this passage, the apostle Paul calls upon believers to glorify the Father in our bodies.  How does a life spent in bad choices glorify our body?  


Or are you not aware that your body is a temple of the holy spirit in you, which you have from God, and you are not your own?  For you were bought with a price.  By all means glorify God in your body.

Paul To The Corinthians (1) 6: 19-20, Concordant New Testament 


I will be the first to admit that all too many of the addicts which we see on our streets have NO idea of the saving love of the Father.  This is exactly why I pray that the Father would open their eyes to this reality.  Whatever it is they are running from, they cannot run from God.  Whatever new drug promises to bring them relief, it is but by the love and grace of the Father that they will truly find peace in their lives.  I thought the choices which I made would bring me comfort, I was wrong.  In the end, what brought me comfort was knowing a relationship with the Father and that I am in Christ.  I am always astounded at the amount of money doled out to homeless outreach and addiction recovery programs.  My good friend at the gym was recently berating the fact that his taxes included over $1,500 in homeless assistance funds.  With all the monies which we have poured out into addiction recovery programs, one would think that we'd be getting a better handle on the problem by now, right?  Wrong!  I have a better idea, help the homeless and drug addicted with simply basic needs, but with a caveat.  With this assistance, provide the afflicted with another choice.  That choice being a knowledge of a love for them which never dies.  Of a Father who will never leave them nor forsake them.  Bring Christ Jesus into this equation.  Guaranteed that as more and more people began to see the saving grace of the Father the former things which they treasured so dearly will become suddenly not so important anymore.  I can speak to the truth of this, for I can see the self destructive behaviors I once engaged in for what they are.  I was wrong.  God never forces Himself upon His children, but works through the lives of all of us.  I pray that the Father will open the eyes of all in need of seeing Him.  


~Scott~ 

No comments: