Tuesday, April 9, 2024

Strong Enough?

 




And He has protested to me, "Sufficient for you is My grace, for My power in infirmity is being perfected."  With great relish, then, will I rather be glorying in my infirmities, that the power of Christ shall be tabernacling over me.  Wherefore I delight in infirmities, in outrages, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christs sake, for, whenever I may be weak, then I am powerful. 

Paul To The Corinthians (2) 12: 9-10, Concordant New Testament 


Over this past weekend I had the pleasure of having a emergency room doctor poking me attempting to determine what it was that was causing the pain in my knee.  As he did so, he performed a test which they say tests the strength of the muscles in my leg.  "Well, you're pretty strong." he muttered after a few minutes.  I could have told him that, I've spent the past few years working on my fitness through strength training.  I've had more than a few people comment on the strength I've developed.  But, am I really that strong?  I think of the apostle Paul, who in his weakest moments considered himself to be stronger than ever.  In those times when he was at his strength was lacking, Paul understood Who it was that was the source of his strength.  That being Christ Jesus.  Like many believers, when troubling times came, Paul prayed to the Lord that He would remove them from his life.  I'm sure we can all relate to those times.  Yet, what was the Lords response to Paul this particular time?  "Sufficient for you is My grace" {Paul To The Corinthians(2) 12: 9-10}.  Paul didn't get that thorn removed from him, but what he did get was something much more valuable.  For in his moment of weakness, he realized that the strength he needed was that provided by Christ Jesus.  For when Paul was weak, it was Jesus who is strong.  I can absolutely see the value of Paul's situation in my current health struggle.  This strength which I've developed means nothing.  In fact, one could say that it was but by the strength of Christ that I have been able to accomplish what I have.  It's never been about me.  I know that whatever physical or spiritual struggles that I'm facing, that it is in those moments that the strength of Christ Jesus is what carries me.  A dear friend presented to me an interesting outlook on prayer not too long ago.  In those times where we are hurting.  In those times where we struggle, our prayer should not be for the Lord to remove what it is that is afflicting us, but to ask of Him, "What is it that you're doing, Lord?"  Amen! 


For all am I strong in Him who is invigorating me -- Christ! 

Paul To The Philippians 4:13, Concordant New Testament 


If the apostle had asked of the Lord what He was doing in his life, would we even have the valuable lesson we receive from the words of Paul in 2 Corinthians 12?  Perhaps.  But this has been the automatic response from those seeking the Lord in times of struggle for thousands of years, "Lord, help me."  The scriptures tell us that when we ask Him for help, He listens {Matthews Account 7:7, Marks Account 11:24, To The Hebrews 4:16}.  The Lord is our constant help in difficult times.  I think that it is a good thing that, when faced by life's troubles, that our first thought is of Him.  If we have the revelation that we are in Christ, then He is indeed our strength {Paul To The Philippians 4:13}.  Again, my dear friend and brother enlightened me some years ago with his own interpretation of Paul's words to the Philippians.  Not only can I do all things through Christ who strengthens me, but Christ Jesus IS my strength!  I can do nothing without Him.  Did Paul have this realization?  I'm sure that he did.  For from Paul we learn a lot of our own lives in Christ Jesus.  Knowing that we are in Christ can lessen the burden we feel in times of our struggles.  His grace is indeed sufficient for us.  


~Scott~  



No comments: