Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Church Gone Wrong

Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common.  And sold their possesions  and goods, and divided them among all, as anyone had need.  So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.  And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 44-47 NKJV

I don't think too many people who have read Acts 2:44 and the description of the early church of followers of Jesus could not be impressed with just how authentic it was.  Here was a body of believers devoted to worshipping God and serving one another.  Quite impressive really.  Why do I bring this up?  Well, I'll let it be known that I'm tired of church.  Now, before I get excommunicated AGAIN, let me clarify that what I am dead tired of is trying to explain to those who have questions just why the modern church acts the way that it does.  If I fall from the good graces of a few pastors for these beliefs, then so be it.  Lately, I've fielded a few questions from a co worker of mine who has had concerns about the conduct of the church.  It seems that there were more than a few people in a few churches he and his family have visited that have made it quite clear that there is a absolute obligation to tithe!  Now, my friend knows me and is aware of my christian beliefs, so it was only natural that he would direct a few questions my way.  The trouble is, I didn't have any easy answers for him.  For even I don't know just where we, as a world of believers, have come up short.  As christians, we all know the value of how others around us view our behavior towards others, but do we care?  Yes, our Lord Jesus has said that "They will know them by their fruits," but we all too often find excuses to justify our behaviors.  Worse yet, we refer to scripture to back up our misguided ideas.

"And why do you look at the speck in your brothers eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?   Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye?  "Hypocrite!  First remove the plank from your own eye, then youu will see clearly to remove the speck from your brothers eye."
Matthew 7: 3-5 NKJV

What would make Jesus make such a statement as he does in Matthew 7:3?  Simple, for the Pharisees and Saducees of Jesus' day were known for showering judgement on some while showing favoritism to others.  I fear there may never be a better definition of cronyism than these self righteous dudes in their ceremonial garb.  However, Jesus was not done in His criticism of the Pharisees, not by a long shot!

"And whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.  But woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, Hypocrites!  For you shut up the kingdom of heaven against men; for you neither go in yourselves, nor do you allow those who are entering to go in.  Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, Hypocrites!  For you devour widows' houses, and for a pretense make long prayers.  Therefore you will receive greater condemmnation.  Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, Hypocrites!  For you travel land and sea to win one proselyte (One who has converted), and when he is won, you make him twice as much a son of hell as yourselves.  Woe to you, blind guides, who say, 'whoever swears by the temple, it is nothing; but whoever swears by the gold of the temple, he is obliged to perform it.'  "Fools and blind!  For which is greater, the gold or the temple that sanctifes the gold?"
Matthew 23: 12-17 NKJV

Now, reading this,  can anyone doubt why the religious leaders of Jesus' day wanted Him dead?  He was raining on their parade, crashing their party!  For it was these very same men who used their power and influence for personal gain.  To Jesus, this was inexcusable.  For Jesus looked upon the hearts of these men, and didn't like what he saw.  It was the poor, the weak who Jesus had pity on.  However, I also believe that had these religious leaders turned from their ways and practiced mercy instead of favoritism, that the mercy and love of our Lord would have been upon them as well.  For it is not the desire of Jesus to condemn the world, but that all might be saved through Him.  Not through condemnation, but through love.
I know my friend will have many more questions about a few of the churches he's visited, and I'll do my best to relay Jesus' message of love.  For the same mercy and grace that saved a man such as myself will surely save my friend as well.

~Scott~

No comments: