Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Mysterious Happenings Of The Spirit Kind

To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the gentiles: which is Chirst in you, the hope of glory.  Him we preach, warning every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.  To this end I also labor, striving according to His working which works in me mightily.
Colossians 1: 27-29 NKJV

We have a study in our mens outreach group lately.  This is the mystery of Jesus Christ in us.  Now, I'll just make it known that this "mystery" was in fact one of the most difficult aspects of the life of Jesus for me to understand.  Yes, I get it that Jesus gave His life on the cross to wash away our sins, then three days later He rose again.  I don't question this, for it is written.  It would also seem that others accept this fact as well, as there have been more than a few films depicting the execution of Christ.  So, there are plenty of people who see validity in this story.  However, this "Mystery among the gentiles" that the apostle Paul speaks of in 1 CColossians 1:27 is another matter altogether.  Are we to believe that the risen Lord Jesus has chosen to take up residence in these earthly bodies of ours?  Some would claim this is impossible as by some odd chance we yet remain sinners.  However, for this to even began to resemble the truth, we would need to invalidate the finished work of Jesus on that cross.  For if we are yet sinners, what is it that Christ Jesus gave His life for?

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I llive by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

When I finaly enter the presence of my Lord, I would like to congratulate Paul on his description of this matter of Jesus in us.  For it is indeed a great mystery.  I've struggled to accept this fact, as others have as well I'm sure.  It was perfectly described by Paul as the great mystery.  Yet, it doesn't need to be.  For in Galations 2:20, Paul does his best to explain the concept to us.  This was not a issue with me until I tried to reason out the first part of this mystery of a scripture.  I've been crucified?  Did I miss something here?  I distincly remember feeling for my own heartbeat and moving my arms a few times in order to convince myself I was alive.  Seriously, I think I would have remembered dying!  Of course, this could not be  exactly Pauls mindset as he wrote this scripture.  No, there's something bigger at play here.  We accept the fact that Christ died on the cross to be sin for us, that's not part of this mystery.  Or is it?  Are we to accept the fact that, through Adam and Eve, that sin entered Gods creation?  If so, then God needed to put away this sin nature in us once and for all.  When I say put away, I mean put it to death.  For the sacrafice that Christ Jesus gave would be meaningless if our sins were erased, but our sin nature remained.  How long would it be before that sin nature once again left us convicted of our iniquities?  Jesus had one life to give, so He had to do this right the first time!  Therefore, not only did our sins need to be erased, but the very sin nature that we carried since the fall needed to be put to death as well.  Therefore, Christ BECAME sin in our place upon that cross.  When He became sin, our sin nature died with Him.  THAT is the piece of Paul , and us, that was crucified with Jesus on the cross.  This mystery that Paul talks of is indeed a tough concept to understand.  However, if we let scripture guide us, we can see the truth that our Lord is willing to share with us.

~Scott~


No comments: