Sunday, March 6, 2016

Why Me?

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.  For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.  He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the only begotten Son of God.  And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
John 3: 16-19 NKJV

I've read that verse so many times and asked the same questions.  How God sent his ONLY son into this world so that I might be saved, but why me?  That Christ would eradicate the very sins that condemned me, but why me?  Furthermore, I would be forever found guiltless in the eyes of God.  Again, why me?  What was so special about me that would make the creator of all the universe take the time to ensure my very salvation?  I am not a king, a politician or someone of vast importance in this world, yet God saved me, why?  Were there not others more worthy than me?  For I know the transgressions that I commited and God must not be happy with me, right?  For I know that God despises evil, and was I not born into sin?  Surely God must be obligated to punish me for all that I've done?  However, if I myself have had those questions, I can imagine the questions someone else must have.

"I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in you; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that you sent Me.  And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one:  I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.
John 17: 20-23 NKJV

Eventually I came to that realization we do when the light bulb finally comes on and we see the light in front of us.  For the heart and soul of the oft quoted scripture in John 3:16 is Love!  For God so LOVED the world.  Again, in the garden Jesus prays along those very same lines.  That God has LOVED us as He loved His only Son.  For Christ did not come to condemn the world, but to save it.  We have done ourselves a disservice by giving God a punishment mentality.  Yes, we were once sinners, but it is through the love of God that we are now innocent in the eyes of God.  As is his nature, it is satan who condemns.  His desire is to drive a wedge between God and His children.  Remember, he who believes is NOT condemned.  Therefore, we can trust that, when we come before our heavenly Father to ask for His forgiveness for some shortcoming that satan is accusing us of, that His answer to us will be, "What sin, child?"  We can now be content that our Heavenly Father has loved us as He loved His only Son.

~Scott~

No comments: