Saturday, March 19, 2016

The Purposefully Poor

A woman came to Him having a alabaster flask of very costly fragrant oil, and she poured it on His head as He sat at the table.  But when His disciples saw it, they were indignant, saying, "Why this waste?  "For this fragrant oil might have been sold for much and given to  the poor."  But when Jesus was aware of it, He said to them, "Why do you trouble the woman?  For she has done a good work for Me.  "For you have the poor with you always, but Me you do not have always."
Matthew 26: 7-11 NKJV

I've been watching with much interest lately the actions and attitudes towards the homeless not only in my own city, but nationwide as well.  Of course, this is a worldwide issue as well.  My line of work requires me to be right on the front lines of this issue in our city.  Therefore, I see not only the effects of the homeless issue on the infrastructure of the city, but on individuals as well.  There are advocate groups who will swear up and down that this segment of our population is merely disadvantaged due to a unjust economic system.  While I agree that not everyone receives the same economic opportunities as others around them, I believe this is not the fault of one person, class of people or political party.  For a person  may become homeless due to being poor or also to poor choices they've made at one point or another.  I know that those liberals among us may not want to hear this truth, but there are those among the homeless population who prefer to live the way they are.  Be it as a protest against society, a drug or alchohol issue or simply refusing to work, there are those of the homeless population who refuse to work.

"For I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.'  "Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, 'Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give you drink?  'When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You?  'Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?  "And the king will answer and say to them, 'Assuredly,  I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to  one of the least of these my brethren, you did it to Me.'
Matthew 25: 35-40 NKJV

For the record, I have no issue with charities that help the homeless lift themselves up from the condition they find themselves in.  However, what I DO take issue with is the government requiring its taxpayers to foot the bill for a segment of the homeless population which refuses to get back on their feet despite the assistance of others.  It's  my opinion that living off the government tit SHOULD NOT be considered an occupation!  However, when the good citizens of this nation have complained that their taxes are too high and that perhaps we should reduce the amount of benefit programs currently funded by the government, a firestorm erupts.  It is then that the self proclaimed "experts" in the media, entertainment and political realms shout from the rooftops that such talk is not only selfish but hate speech as well.  WHAT?  I'll come out and say it, my taxes are too high!  Why are we, taxpaying citizens of this nation, footing the bill for the welfare and health care of those who refuse to make a living?  This is not a question of greed, but one of economic sense!  Democrats and Republicans alike are quick to criticize each other for inflating the national debt, but few solutions are engaged to reduce the number of government benefit programs.
As I've said, I have no issue with charity, and I believe that those who donate to these relief organizations are to be applauded for their generosity.  Yet, where is the applause for my tax dollars that support those who refuse to work?  No, they only demand more benefits!  I find this insulting.  Granted, I am not homeless, but if I ever end up in that situation I will do EVERYTHING in my ability to work my way out of it!  That, dear readers, is the essence of this nation!  For our forfathers did not wait around and wait for someone else to feed, clothe and house them!  No, their work ethic prevented them from engaging in that behavior.  In years past, one was looked down upon should they fall on hard times and need to go on governmnt assistance.  It was this stigma in our society that I believe kept more than a few people working to provide for themselves.  Do those who choose to be homeless provide for themselves?  Well, some may say so, but I've seen the other side of that coin people.  For who cleans up the garbage, vomit and excrement that the homeless leave behind them?  I guarantee you they don't do that themselves!  In my humble opinion, it IS NOT our job as a society to clean up after these people when they are more than able to do it for themselves!  One thing is for certain, if you EVER find me living on the streets you'll know I really must have F**ked up bad!

~Scott~

No comments: