Monday, March 21, 2016

Maturity

That we should no longer be children, tossed to and fro and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, in the cunning craftiness of deceitful plotting, but, speaking the truth in love, may grow up in all things into Him who is the head-Christ.
Ephesians 4: 14-15 NKJV

A friend of mine shared a video with me this morning.  I didn't look at it at first,  thinking it was one in a long line of "How to" faith videos.  We've all seen these, the ones where one institutional church pastor or another will lecture us on just how to receive Gods abundance/blessings/forgiveness.  Perhaps I'm a bit jaded, but I've seen far too many of these christian instructional videos.  However, this one was different I must admit.  For there was a simple truth to be learned.  The host was explaining the concept of spiritual maturity and how we get lost in the definition(s) of this concept.  In the end, what it comes down to is that in order to be spiritually mature, we must be like Jesus.  This seems logical, for Jesus never wavered in His faith or trust in His father.  It is in Ephesians 4:14 where we see the example of one who is spiritually immature, one who is easily shaken by different doctrines and teachers.  This is not maturity at all.  In fact, Jesus called those who misled the people with their teachings hypocrites!  We all remember the "Woes" that Jesus said  in reference to the Pharisees in Matthew 23:13.  Although these men claimed exalted status, they misled many.  Yes, perhaps the people were immature as well.

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who loive, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

If one is to be spiritually mature, not willing to adhere to the various doctrines or trickery of others, then Jesus is the model we must adhere to.  In fact, He is nearer than you think.  For if we hold Galations 2:20 as truth, then our Lord Jesus already exists within us.  His shed blood, His death and resurection have all led to this fact.  It is the litmus test I often use with scripture.  If we believe that the scriptures are the infallible word of God, then we must accept that which is written there as fact, unwavering and trusting.  Therefore, we hold as fact the truth that Christ indeed has risen AND is residing within us.  We believe, unwavering and trusting.  For this is the word of God.  I would add that this is a perfect addition to the definition of maturity, holding fast to Gods word as truth and standing firm in this belief despite what others may present to us.  For they speak many winds of doctrine.

~Scott~

No comments: