Monday, June 6, 2016

A Walk In The Vinyard

"I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser.  Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit.  You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you.  Abide in Me, and I in you.  As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me.  I am the vine, you are the branches.  He who abides in Me, and  I in him, bears much fruit; for without me you can do nothing.  If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned.  If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.  By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples."
John 15: 1-8 NKJV

There are a few things I know about  the topic of wine.  First, I NEVER drink it.  Second, I don't know much about it.  What I do know is that wine is something that is quite a task to make.  From the initial plants to the upkeep of the vinyard, there's much effort involved in this process.  However, quite a few people enjoy the end product.  In fact, wine was a common drink even in the days of Jesus and the disciples.  Wine has quite a history indeed.  For those in the know, the upkeep of a vinyard icludes pruning the branches of the vine.  Apparently, if there is a branch that is not producing fruit, it is best to just lop it off to keep the vine producing fruit.  Now, would anyone ever connect our lives in Christ with a vinyard, well Jesus did just that.  In fact, we see in John 15 just how Jesus relates His Spirit within us to the branches of a vine.  As Jesus tells it, He is the vine, we are the branches and our heavenly Father is the vine dresser.  God is the one who walks the vinyard and does away with any branches that are not producing fruit, for they are unproductive.  In fact, every branch of this vine that is cut off is ultimately cast into the fire and burned as chaff.  Does anyone but me see the subtle reference to hell in this passage?  I feel this is intentional as nothing in scripture is written by chance.

Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?  For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God's.
1 Corinthians 6: 19-20 NKJV

If we're talking subtle refernces here, then what of the mention of Jesus as the true vine and our heavenly Father as the vine dresser, the keeper of the vinyard?  Of course, we are ultimately the very branches of this true vine.  Now, I don't know much about plants, but I do know that if a branch is not connected to a plant is surely withers and dies.  This is the process of nature and, according to Jesus, the process of our Lord as well.  Of course, I believe that Christ ultimately phrased this parable into something that those listening to Him could understand.  For the common Isrealite of Christs time would definately know of this reference.  It is this subtle reference that Jesus uses to explain the indwelling of His spirit within us.  Whether the people of His day understood this is topic for discussion.  I believe there are some who understood His teaching.  However, the fact remains that Jesus indeed was trying to speak into the hearts of those who would listen that they should abide in the true vine.

~Scott~

No comments: