Monday, June 20, 2016

Basic Instincts

When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
1 Corinthians 13:11 NKJV

There are a few basic things which a newborn child is keenly aware of.  They are aware that they are hungry, thirsty or in pain.  Those of us who have had the joys of parenthood can testify to the hours spent worrying over our newborn children.  For it is during these early years that each of us is totally dependent on our parents who are tasked with our care.  I don't recall much at all of my early years, which I suppose can be a good thing.  There is one more thing that each infant is also aware of, and that is the presence of those who provide for their care.  When we were babies, we would communicate our needs to our parents, who we trusted would provide for us.  Of course, as time takes its course, our young ones grow into the adults we hope that they become.  A parents influence is indeed crucial to a childs upbringing.  I find it intersting that in our later years we seem to  come full circle in our trust in the provider of our needs.   Despite the fact that as we age, we often provide for our own needs as well as those of our own children, there is a recognition of our heavenly provider.  I don't think that it's any coincidence at all that our Lord often refers to us as "His children."  And why not, He gave us life and is a intricate part of our everyday life.  We come to Him seeking provision, protection and someone to listen.  All of these things we used to rely on our parents for.  I am not aware of any studies that have been done to see if infants are aware in any way of our heavenly Father, but I believe that this realization comes a bit later in life.

But when it pleased God, who seperated me from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
Galations 1: 15-17 NKJV

So, at what age is it that a infant may become aware of  our Lords heavenly presence?  That is up for debate, for some children progress faster than others.  Growing up, I learned of God at an early age, as my mother was very strong in her faith.  Does being exposed to the teachings and virtues of our Lord at a early age determine if we will ultimately heed His call on our hearts?  Possibly, But there are many influences that can go into this equation.  As I've said, our parents do their best to guide us along that path they wish us to take.  However, ultimately it is our own choices that decide the path our lives will take, including our acceptance of our Lord Jesus into our hearts.

Even so we, when we were children, were in bondage under the elements of the world.  But when the fullness of time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, bornn under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons.  And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, "Abba, Father!"  Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an ehir of God through Christ.
Galations 4: 3-7 NKJV

Even though each of us may choose our own path in life, it is ultimately through our Lords "Fullness of time" in which He will place the call of His Son upon our hearts.  Paul, one of the greatest defenders of the gospel of Jesus the world has ever known, was even so once a devout Jewish authority who routinely "Breathed threats" against the followers of Christ Jesus {Acts 9: 1-2}.  Such was his violence towards the early church, that Paul refered to himself as "Chief of sinners" {1 Timothy 1:15}.  As Paul states in Galations 1, it was not until "It pleased God" that Christ Jesus in Paul himself  was revealed.  No matter what path we choose, it is in Gods fullness of time that He will reveal His Son in us.

~Scott~



No comments: