Friday, June 3, 2016

This Jesus

But when it pleased God, who seperated me from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might teach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, Nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; But I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
Galations 1: 15-17 NKJV

I've often wondered just why it is I didn't choose Jesus more wholeheartedly earlier in my life.  Oh sure, I knew God and had a basic knowledge that should I have died, I would have spent eternity in His presence.  At least that was what I had been taught from a young age.  Like alot of children, I took in all of the Sunday school stories of how this Jesus loved me so much.  I sang the songs from Jesus loves me to Amazing Grace.  I played with the other kids who, it seemed, knew this Jesus.  Life was simpler back then, the teacher told us of how Jesus loved us and how we were to worship Him.  But what if we weren't  told the whole story of this man Jesus?  You have to realize, we were kids following the instructions of our teachers.  To disobey or not follow instructions inn some way would at times make me feel like I was a sinner deserving Gods forgivness.  It seems like kind of a mixed message now that I look back on it today, telling children just how much Jesus loves them, and in the same breath admonishing them if they didn't "Perform" for Jesus as they should.  I remember asking myself from time to time as I grew older if I was good enough for the love of this Jesus.   Had I performed well enough for Him?  Eventually I myself became of "Those" teachers leading a Sunday school class.  Strangely enough, the curiculum hadn't changed much since I was younger.  My kids still played and worshipped this Jesus the way WE taught them to.  It seemed to me that we were not instilling in them a true heart for Jesus.  If anything, I was simply giving them guidelines on how they should perform for Jesus' love.

"I do  not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that you sent Me.  An dthe glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: I in them, and Youu in  Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.  Father, I desire that they also whom  You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; For You loved me before the foundation of the world.
John 17: 20-24 NKJV

It wasn't until I more than a few years later that I began to see that it is not about the performance we can give Jesus, but the very spirit of our Lord Jesus within us.  We see in John 17 as Jesus prays in the garden of Gethsemene of  His desire for those whom His father has given Him to "Be one" with He and the Father.  Jesus did not mention any kind of performance in His prayer.  He didn't say His desire was for those whom He was given would perform in a noteworthy way for Him.  No, all Jesus requested was that we would be one in He and the Father.  No performance involved.  For it is this that takes the effort of our salvation away from us and places it on Jesus.  Indeed, our salvation cannot be bought.  All we are asked to do is believe.  There is no "Accceptable" worship, just we who are in Him lifting our praises to He who gave Himself for us.  Far from being a distant observer who looks down on us and how well we perform, it is this Jesus who lives on through us.  And we through Him.

~Scott~

3 comments:

Dennis Deardorff said...

What about his asking us to pick up our crosses and follow Him?

Scotts Page said...

What is life? :)

Scotts Page said...

What is life? :)