Monday, June 27, 2016

Keeper Of The Flock

"Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.  But he who enters by the door is the shepherd of the sheep.  To him the doorkeeper opens, and the sheep hear his voice; and he calls his own sheep by name and leads them out.  And when he brings out his own sheep, he goes before them; and the sheep follow him, for they know his voice.  Yet they will by no means follow a stranger, but will flee from him, for they do not know the voice of strangers."
John 10: 1-5 NKJV

There are many a passage in scripture where Jesus is refered to as the Good Shepherd.  And why not?  Is Jesus not the leader of His flock?  However, I believe there is a reason that Christ Jesus was refered to in such a way.  Like many of His parables, Jesus used stories which His audience could understand.  Despite this, many continued to be perplexed by the teachings of Jesus even today.  Did Jesus intend for us to be confused by His words?   I don't believe so, but I also believe that some of the teachings of Christ will take some meditation on our part.  So, why did Jesus refer to Himself as the Good Shepherd?  Good question.  I guess one could start by understanding the sheep which He guides.  See, sheep are interesting animals to say the least.  They are pretty docile, not prone to fighting.  This usually makes them pretty easy prey for any predator that comes along.  Here in Oregon, the ranchers of Eastern Oregon have long fought a battle agianst various wild wolves that some wish to protect and preserve.  Now, the wolf is a beutiful animal no doubt, but it is also a predator pure and simple.  Like that giant shark that swallowed Robert Shaw whole in the movie Jaws, these roving packs of killers can quickly terrorize a herd of animals.  It's not the fault of the wolf, it's just what they do.  Naturaly, wolfs are natural predators of the docile sheep, which is why a shepherd is needed to protect the flock.  In middle eastern cultures, shepherds continue to be a honored occupation even today.  Where there are sheep, there are shepherds.

"I am the door.  If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture.  The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.  I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.  I am the good shepherd.  The good shepherd gives his life for the sheep.  But a hireling, he who is not the shepherd, one who does not  own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees; and the wolf catches the sheep and scatters them.  The hireling flees because he is a hireling and does not care about the sheep.  I am the good shepherd; and I know My sheep, and am known by My own.  As the Father knows Me, even so I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.  And the other sheep I have which are not of this fold; them alo I must bring, and they will hear my voice; and there will be one flock and one shepherd.  Therefore My Father loves Me, because I lay down My life that I may take it again.  No one takes it from Me, but I lay it down of Myself.  I have power to lay it down, and i have power to take it again.  This commmand I have received from My Father."
John 10: 9-18 NKJV

Even so, if Jesus is the good shepherd, then we who are of his flock are His sheep.  The funny thing about sheep is that they are wanderers.  One of the primary jobs of the shepherd is to assure that all sheep in his care stay safe until they can be processed (sheared or used for food).  As we've seen, sheep without a shepherd are easy pickings for any predators that may come along.  As some may have already guessed, we who have trusted in Christ Jesus are the sheep which He guards.  We are His flock.  Not only that, Jesus also tells His listeners that He also must gather those sheep which are not of His flock {John 10:16}.  Yes, this includes those who have yet to accept Christ Jesus.  We can see that Jesus did not come to save just a chosen few, but that through Him the world may be saved {John 3:17}.  There are no favorites here, all sheep are welcome.  Now, I never thought of myself as a docile sheep.  No, more like a killer lion.  However, I can see why Jesus may have used sheep to describe His flock.  For like sheep we are prone to wander from our safe confines from time to time.  Sure, we know where our home pasture is, but sometimes we feel that need to seek a better pasture.  This is where our good shepherd will call to us and call us back into His fold.

~Scott~

No comments: