Saturday, June 11, 2016

Pray That Gay Away

And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living being.
Genesis 2: 7 NKJV

My friend this week shared with me a news story of the family of a Texas teen who apparently sent their wayward daughter to a christian boarding school, perhaps in an effort to "Pray her gayness away."  This all came to light because young Sarah had asked a girl to her high school instead of a boy as almost everyone expects their  kids to do.  Of course, all parents seek to have their children embrace socially acceptable behavior as well.  This is all a part of parenting, to raise children who we as parents feel exhibit those values that we have strived to instill in them.  Now, in defense of thhis young girls family, it seems that the young lady was afflicted by addiction issues as well as her homosexuality.  As she was shipped off to her new boarding school, the local media began tossing the term "Pray the gay away" to describe her plight.  Of course, as soon as I heard of this situation, my instincts told me that those who advocate homosexual behavior would rush t her defense!  This is the modus operandi of these people.  This agenda was pushed along by the girls own cousin, who it seems is one of those Hollywood entertainment idols who seem to always place their voices and opinions above anyone elses.  This is the tug of war that is forming around this girl, with her family on one side and political groups with their very own agendas on the other.  At the center of this latest political correctness firestorm is what must be one frightened and confused young girl.

We are of God.  He who knows God hears us; he who is not of God does not hear us.  By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.  Beloved, let us love one another, for love is of  God; and everyone who loves is born of God and knows God.  He who does not love does not know God, for God is love.  In this the love of God was manifested toward us, that God has sent His only begotten Son into the world, that we might live through Him.  In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins.  Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another.
1 John 4: 6-11 NKJV

My friend asked me this week just how I would have handled the situation of this young girl.  Now, I am not a parent, but God has  placed that instinct and ability within me for His fullness of  time.  To expalin just how I would handle this situation, I ask the reader to look at the examples of those who have gathered around this girl in this battle over her situation.  One of these groups is showing love and compassion and thinking of her well being, while the other is simply seeking to score political points.  One thing I will say, is that if this were my own daughter, I would be damned if some political agenda dominated interest group would be responsible for making those decisions leading to raising my child!  That being said, my first and only priority would be the safety and well being of my own daughter.  There are those who would try to tell her that she has been born this way and that nobody should attempt to change her.  Really?  In Genesis 2:7 we are given a glimpse of just who created us.  For our own heavenly Father breathed into us that breath of life.  We also know that we were indeed created in the very image of our Lord {Genesis 1:26}.  Now, I've not heard too many people, including new age christians make the claim that our Lord God is homosexual.  So, what does that say about we who were created in His very image?

"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

Now, not have we been created in our Lords image, but it is Christ Jesus who dwells in all who accept Him.  Homosexuality is NOT something we are, but a choice which we ultimately make.  The beautiful truth which we have as we accept  Jesus is that He dwells within and walks with us daily.  THIS is who we ultimately are in our Lord.  As I've mentioned, I look at the two groups battling for the mind of this young girl and I know in my heart who is showing Gods love to her, albeit in a misguided direction.  In their very actiions, I see in this girls parents the love  a parent has for their child.  Far from being motivated by some liberal political agenda, it is love which motivates the parents of their child.

~Scott~

1 comment:

Dennis Deardorff said...

So, the issue is not gender identity. It's spiritual identity. What defines you from your center or your I am and not by your genitals?