Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Friends By Choice

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you.  Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.  You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.  No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have callled you friends, for all things I have heard from my Father I have made known to you.  You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go  and bear fruit,, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give to you.  These things I command you, that you love one another."
John 15: 12-17 NKJV

It is one of the most unshakable bonds known to man, often overcoming whatever is thrown its way to flourish in both triumph and trouble.  It has built nations, restored families and changed lives forever.  It is that bond of friendship between two people brought together by something higher than themselves.  We all may have numerous friendships throughout our lives, but very few of them are precious enough to stand the test of time and distance.  I have been blessed with such a friendship which has overcome not only time and distance, but also my own pride.  Such is the friendship I have cultivated with my friend David.  There are very few people in my life who, should something awful happen in the dark of night, that I can reach out to them and talk.  The night my mother passed away, David was one of the first calls I made.  There have been other calls as well, which have led to some enlightening conversations.  If the definition of a friend is someone who will provide godly advice in the face of someone who may not wish to hear it, then David is indeed a true friend.  For despite my own stubborness, this man has continued to speak into me words of wisdom when most would have given up entirely.  Yeah, I can be stubborn like that.  However, despite my often lack of eagerness to receive his advice, our friendship has remained.

'When I go home people ask me, 'Hey Hoot, why do you do it, man? What, you some kinda war junkie?'  You know what I'll say?  I won't say a godamn word.  Why?  They won't understand.   They won't understand why we do it.  They won't understand that it's bout the men next to you, and that's it.  That's all it is."
~SFC Norm Hooten, Blackhawk Down {2001}~

I should also mention that despite the deep roots of friendship which David and I have developed over time, it has not come without it's trials.  Others who look upon this relationship might shake their heads and wonder how two such proud people could ever get along.  Believe me, I've asked myself that quesion as well.  However, despite our obvious issues, we remain friends.  I admit that much of the advice which he has passed on to me may not have been initialy well received, but our own pride often has a way of clouding our judgement.  However, Davids guidance into the truth of Christ Jesus is one of the cherished words of wisdom I've received.  For as I've come to realize, it's not about me, but about who lives in me.  That human desire to be independent often leads us into some convoluted thinking.  Along the way, David has not only shared his life and shortcomings with me, but words for this stubborn lad to live by.
Later this summer, David will be reunited with the woman he married many years ago.  Theirs is a relationship where others cannot fail to see the hand of Gods blessing upon them.  With the words of our Lord Jesus echoing "What God has joined together, let no man seperate" have never been more true of a marriage relationship.  I have not known the pleasure of knowing his wife to be, but I know in my heart that God has blessed this man who has spoken so often into my life.  It is a friendship I will cherish and remember.

~Scott~

No comments: