Friday, July 15, 2016

When Miniions Come Knockin'

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.   But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.  If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.  But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.  For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways.
James 1: 2-8 NKJV

Today was a decent day, as Fridays go.  It is days like this where I go to work knowing that I will be free of the cares of work for at least two days.  This will free me for other projects which I might have.  Yes, today seemed like a good day.  How soon that would change.  For with one phone conversation the serenity of my Friday was shaken.  Now, this wasn't any earth shattering news.  Far from that, even something I was almost expecting.  However, I was hoping and praying for a different result to this situation.  As I contemplated a few different scenarios to accommadate this recent setback, I suddenly found myself asking a pretty serious question, "Where are you, God?"  Now, for those of you who have read any of my previous threads, you know that I am well aware of just where my Lord Christ is.  Indeed, it is Christ Jesus who now resides in me {Galations 2:20}.  I've known this truth in my heart, but in the space of a few moments, I again began to question Gods presence.  In its place came those feelings of fear, panic and doubt which I'd left behind with that old man some time ago.  Had I had a change of heart in my walk with Jesus?  NO!  As my friend Dennis has often said, it is in times like these that those old "Minions" of our former spirit occupier come knocking at our door once again.  We all know him, he is the compadre of that old man who died with Christ Jesus on that cross so long ago {Romans 6:6}.  He is that "Prince of the power of the air" who once occupied our flesh in the sin into which we were once born {Ephesians 2:2}.

Therefore, having been justifed by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we also have access by faith into His grace in which we stand, and rejoice in the hope of the glory of God.  And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope.  Now hope does not disappoint, because the love of God has been poured out in our hearts by the Holy Spirit who was given to us.  For when we were still without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.  For scarcely for a righteous man will one die; yet perhaps for a good man someone would even dare to die.  But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
Romans 5: 1-8 NKJV

As I was contemplating this recent visit by those old minions, I recalled once again just why they were returning once again in an attempt to reclaim what was once theirs.  It is exactly how it seems, for this prince of the power of the air (satan) who once held us in his power was evicted from his castle when we trusted in the truth of our Lord Christ Jesus.  It is no wonder that he continues to return time and agian in his attempts to reclaim what he once called his own.  However, this former owner is just that, a former owner!  He no longer has any power over that which he once controlled.  The death and resurection of Christ Jesus has assured us of that.  I find it interesting that when the trials of life come knocking, one of our very first responses is to look around for our shield, our protector, our God.  The words of the apostle Paul and of James the brother of Christ Jesus assure us to "Glory" in those trials in our lives which will surely come.  Why?  Because it is in times such as these, when those old minions come knocking, where we can be strengthened by that knowledge in our own hearts that we no longer obey the whims of the prince of the power of the air.  For those of us who have accepted Christ Jesus, that old man, that sin and those old minions are now dead to us.

~Scott~


No comments: