Friday, July 1, 2016

Through The Eyes Of Thomas

Now Thomas, called the Twin, one of the twelve, was not with them when Jesus came.  The other disciples therefore said to him, "We have seen the Lord."  So he said to them, "Unless I see in His hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and put my hand in His side, I will not believe."  And after eight days His disciples were again inside, and Thomas was with them.  Jesus came, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, "Peace to you!"  Then He said to Thomas, "Reach your finger here, and look at My hands; and reach your hand here, and put it  into My side.  Do not be unbelieving, but believing."  And Thomas answered and said to Him, "My Lord and my God!"  Jesus said to him, "Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed.  Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.
John 20: 25-29 NKJV 

I've lost track of just how many times I've heard that phrase.  Whether it's from a well known pulpit pounder or from a friend offering some kind advice, at times they all seem to resort to one of the most common peices of advice known to christianity.  I simply need to see Jesus in people, situations or the world around me.  Now, this of course can be excellent advice, for Jesus is indeed among us today, and if we search for Him we will certainly find Him.  However, how do we say to someone who does not even know Christ Jesus that they need to see Him?  Indeed, how can someone who has never even known that joy of knowing Jesus even comprehend the thought of seeing Him in the world around us?  Do they not need to know Jesus before they can even think of "Seeing" Him?  If so, then how solid is this advice that we need to see Jesus in those around us?  We who believe in our risen Lord may know in our hearts that He is among us, but do we "See" Him?  Do we see Him in the people we encounter who may upset us?  Do we see Jesus in that homeless camp that is an eyesore to the area around us?  If we don't, then can we then honestly say that Jesus has somehow deserted us?  Despite all the evidence around us that Christ Jesus remains with us even today, there is that part of us that at times screams, "NO, prove it and I will believe!"  

"If you love Me, keep My commandments.  And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever - the Spirit of Truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you.  I will not leave you orphans; I will come to you.  A little while longer and the world will see Me no more, but you will see Me.  Because I live, you will live also.  At that day you will know that I am in My Father, and you in Me, and I in you.  He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me.  And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him."
John 14: 15-21 NKJV 

There are those times when I feel like that infamous disciple Thomas who, despite having spent so much time walking with Jesus, refused to believe His resurection despite being told of such things by the other disciples.  The others told Thomas of their experience, yet Thomas had not been witness to such things.  For him, it was easier to doubt and demand proof than to believe.  Don't  get me wrong, for I, like Thomas, have known Jesus.  In my heart I know that Jesus is indeed within me and among us.  And yet I demand proof.  I don't feel too bad I suppose, for the world around us can be one that seldom shows the presence of Christ.  Yes, he's there, but at times we don't see Him.  We may see a rude person, a violent criminal or a corruupt official.  Is it that hard for us to believe that Jesus is in the midst of even these troubling circumstances?  At times, yes.  Indeed, Thomas had shared life with Jesus for more than a few years, so he knew his Lord intimately.  However, Thomas had also just witnessed the brutal torture and execution of Jesus at the hands of the hated Romans.  For all intents and purposes, Thomas believed Jesus was dead.  Despite hearing the testimony of his brothers, he trusted what his own eyes told him was true.  I see the world around me and all of its imperfections and at times scoff at the idea that Jesus could have a hand in such a mess.  Like Thomas, I too demand proof of the presence of Jesus.


 "Your eyes can deceieve you, don't trust them!"
~Obi Wan Kenobi~

~Scott~ 


No comments: