Monday, September 25, 2017

Alone On That Island



18“If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hated you. 19“If you were of the world, the world would love its own. Yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20“Remember the word that I said to you, ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also. 21“But all these things they will do to you for My name’s sake, because they do not know Him who sent Me. 22“If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin, but now they have no excuse for their sin.
John 15: 18 - 22 NKJV

I was listening to a radio preacher the other day who joyfully staked the claim that he had very, very few friends.  I found this surprising since this man has apparently been in his ministry for over 30 years.  But then I started to see things a bit from his prespective and realized that he might not be too far off the mark.  Now, notice that he began by saying that he in his lifetime he had FEW friends.  That isn't to say that he had isolated himself from society, only that he had chosen to highlight those few friendships which he has held close over time.  I get it.  Many of us are the same way, celebrating those few close friendships we have been blessed with in life.  Personally speaking, I have a few select friendships that I shall always keep close to my heart.  But what of that man who seems to wander through life without the benefit of knowing a friend?  Well, speaking from my own experience, such a man just may feel like he is on his own island all alone.  See, I've been there.  It's not that I was a social hermit, it's just that I trusted very few people to let them into my life.  Trust me, it's not a good feeling.  Now, we all might reach that point where we might cry out that we need time away from it all, that's not at all unusual.  Most of us may recall that soap commercial from years back where a frustrated mother crys out "Calgon take me away!"  Yes, we all need time away from it all eventually.  However, I want to reiterate that this time away from it all in no way means to shut ourselves off from those around us.  That wouldn't be good.  Like I said, I've been there.  I like to say that I've gotten better, although there are still issues I continue to scrap with.

9Two are better than one, Because they have a good reward for their labor. 10For if they fall, one will lift up his companion. But woe to him who is alone when he falls, For he has no one to help him up. 11Again, if two lie down together, they will keep warm; But how can one be warm alone? 12Though one may be overpowered by another, two can withstand him. And a threefold cord is not quickly broken.
Ecclesiastes 4: 9 - 12 NKJV

I love the scriptures from Ecclesiastes 4 when it comes to friendship.  Two are definately better than one.  I'd rather have two dollars over one.  I'd rather have two coffees over one and...I'd rather have two cars over one.  Indeed, two is better than one.  But the real meaning behind this passage does not relate to our possesions but to those people in our life.  Or, those people we choose to allow into our lives.  Because that's just it isn't it, we will only allow certain people to share our lives with us.  That doesn't mean that we are inherently racist, biggoted or anti social.  All this means is that there will be certain people who we connect with who we will develop close relationships with.  Two are better than one.  But what abou that other side of the equation, the side we call human nature?  Remember, there was a time when I wouldn't allow too many people into my life.  Why?  Because I had seen all too often that side of human nature.  I have a coworker who has a phrase for situations such as this.  People will be people...human nature.  Make no mistake, we will all come across those who will deceive us, hurt us and do us wrong.  From my experience, there are few pains in life than that of being hurt by someone we thought was a friend.  But how is it that we should see such people?  Should we see them as those in need of Gods punishment for hurting us in such a way?  Is that who they really are as a person?  I dare say that I share that same identity with one who has harmed me that I have myself.  In my heart I know that my true identity lies with Christ Jesus who lives through me {Galations 2:20}.  I also know that I don't hold a monopoly on this identity.  For Jesus gave Himself that ALL might be saved through Him {John 3: 16-17}.  That means all men, not just Scott.  So, Christ also lives within that man whom I might be refusing to allow into my life for whatever reason.  That's a me issue plain and simple.  I'm certainly glad that Jesus didn't use the same standards in His love for us that I sometimes use unto others.  Two are better than one.

~Scott~

No comments: