Sunday, September 10, 2017

Mornings With God

~July 1, 1898~


6But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of enecessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. 8And God is able to make all grace abound toward you, that you, always having all sufficiency in all things, may have an abundance for every good work. 9As it is written: “He has dispersed abroad, He has given to the poor; His righteousness endures forever.”
2 Corinthians 9: 6 - 9 NKJV

I've never seen God as anything but kind and righteous.  I'm guessing that this is because of how I was raised in a christian home.  God is kind, God is just, God is...our provider.  It's here where I so often was tripped up in understanding my Lords nature and His feelings towards me.  Now, I'm not saying that God and I have not had many heart to heart conversations where I found myself upset with He who breathed into me that breath of life {Genesis 2:7}.  Inevitably I would find myself questioning why God would abandon me in my time of need.  Granted, that time of need happened to be one of those many times where I had requested something from Him only to end up empty handed in the end.  I felt betrayed, and I let God know how I felt.  God had become a "feel good" God for my life.  Of course, many of these conversations between myself and God were pretty one sided.  I would complain, cry and rant...and He would listen as He always has.  I may have felt abandoned, but that was certainly no the case.  In fact, I can just picture God sitting beside me, His arms arond me as His precious child was hurting.  That's what God does.  We talk, and He listens.  How special is that moment when we both seem to be on the same page, being able to hear each other.  It's in moments like these where we may just hear just what we need to in our time of need.  But why is is that I would be upset with God for not providing what I FELT I needed?  Well that's just it, I thought I needed them, but God knew that I didn't.  Who was I to question Gods motives?  Well, Job did that very same thing until God took Him to school.  Now, Job had more than a man could ever need.  Money, family and prestige among his neighbors.  Job was a man about town.  The trouble with Job is that he had fallen into the pitfall of believing that it was all about him and his efforts.  Job had lost his perspective.  Indeed, all that we have or will EVER have be it plentiful or paltry, we have from God.  It is God who provides for our very needs, not the other way around.

7“Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. 8“For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. 9“Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10“Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? 11“If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!
Matthew 7: 7 - 11 NKJV

I recall a book authored by David McCullough titled Mornings On Horseback.  The book, written in 1981, is a biography of the early years of the life and times of president Theodore Roosevelt.  How appropriate that title was.  Roosevelt, known for leading his "Rough Riders" during the battle of San Juan hill in July of 1898.  Roosevelt was an expert in his day on horses and calvary.  What struck me about McCulloughs story was how, in his quiet times, that the young Roosevelt would find solace and peace on horseback.  I feel that this is where he felt at home.  Hence the title of the book.  There have been many times where, in my conversations with God, that I have found that quiet place to reflect and listen to just what He might have to say to me.  While I agree that we need to be in a "listening" mode during these moments, I also believe that God is more than capable of whispering in our ear at any given moment in time.  We may be in a quiet field on horseback or in a crowded room.  Either way, if God wants us to hear Him, He will make sure that we do.  Are we listening to him?  That's the question of the hour.  With all the background noise around us, are we taking time to listen to Christ Jesus?  One thing that is certain is that we don't need to look too far in order to hear Him {Galations 2:20}.  Being one with Christ guarantees that He will always be there when we need Him the most.
I remember a story my mom used to tell me of when I was just a boy.  It seems that whenever I felt that she wasn't payaing attention to me I would put face close to hers and say "Listen to me!"  She always did.

20“I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; Jesus began His prayers for us way back in the garden of Gethsemane before His arrest. We have trusted in Jesus through the word of the apostles, and this prayer of His is therefore for us. 21“that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22“And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23“I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me. 24“Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world.
John 17: 20 - 24 NKJV

~Scott~

4 comments:

Scotts Page said...

Where is that place where you feel you can "hear" Gods voice?

Dennis Deardorff said...

God doesn't whisper in our ear, He speaks deep in our hearts, where He lives. This is the problem with most people who claim God never hears them. They don't know how to listen to their own hearts. Maybe on a horse or beside a quiet stream you can hear your heart better. (Ps. 23)

Scotts Page said...

Bravo Dennis :)

Scotts Page said...

Bravo Dennis :)