Friday, September 15, 2017

Authentic Worship With Vegtables



6As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in Him, 7rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving. 8Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ. 9For in Him dwells all the fullness of the Godhead bodily; 10and you are complete in Him, who is the head of all principality and power.
Colossions 2: 6 - 10 NKJV

I remember hearing one pastor or another in my time talk on and on...and on and on about the subject of authentic worship and I almost had to keep myself from laughing.  Now, it's well known by now that I don't see eye to eye with the many institutional church leaders out there, and there is always a reason for my beliefs.  As far as the subject of authentic worship goes, I will first derail this train of thought and talk instead about...vegtables.  Not only vegtables, but organic vegtables.  I recently had a conversation with a coworker whom I almost had in tears as we debated the pros and cons of organic produce.  Now, I should make it known that I'm old school.  By that I mean that when I need some vegtables...I buy some vegtables.  Likewise, when I need some fruit...I buy that.  I remember growing up and visiting my grandparents house where grandma always had a garden growing in the summer months.  This was for more of need than a hobby, as my grandparents would usually survive off of the income of the family sawmill.  Therefore, grandma grew that garden to suppliment food for the family.  Good thinking eh?  So, what does all of this have to do with organic vegtables and authentic worship?  Well, in all my time with my grandparents, I never ever heard that word organic spoken.  No, for when the time for the season came, there would by the usual tilling, fertilizing and tilling of the soil to make that garden grow.  It was a processs that had been repeated countless times over each generation.  Those beloved farmers among us plied their trade season after season.  So, I vaguely understand the  argument that organic is right and pure and how things used to be...blah blah blah.  To me, there is simply NO difference between a organic tomato and a "normal" tomato.  They both come from the same soil and are nourished from the same environment right?  Is there organic rain?  Organic sunshine?  To me the entire organic argument is simply a marketing ploy to bilk we the consumers of more money.  When we see that "Organic Grown" label we somehow think that it must be of higher quality worthy of the higher price.  Yet, these very same people will shudder at the thought of paying the extra price for a higher grade of gas.  "It's all the same" they'll claim.  Balh blah blah.  So, back to that topic of authentic worship...just what is it?  Seriously, what is authentic worship and how does it differ from that which we have been doing for generations?

1Receive one who is weak in the faith, but not to disputes over doubtful things. 2For one believes he may eat all things, but he who is weak eats only vegetables. 3Let not him who eats despise him who does not eat, and let not him who does not eat judge him who eats; for God has received him. 4Who are you to judge another’s servant? To his own master he stands or falls. Indeed, he will be made to stand, for God is able to make him stand. 5One person esteems one day above another; another esteems every day alike. Let each be fully convinced in his own mind. 6He who observes the day, observes it to the Lord; and he who does not observe the day, to the Lord he does not observe it. He who eats, eats to the Lord, for he gives God thanks; and he who does not eat, to the Lord he does not eat, and gives God thanks.
Romans 14: 1 - 6 NKJV

Well did the apostle Paul tell those in Rome that we are not to judge our brethren who choose to partake of one tradition or another or who choose one food or another.  Who are we to judge anothers servant?  For it is God who is able to make each of us stand.  In fact, Paul himself refers to these disputes among us as doubtful things.  Each of us in our own way raise our spirits and hearts in worship to the Lord.   I've been told too many times than I can count that I am far too silent in my thankfullness and worship to God?  Seriously?  I worship in my own way.  I have mentioned a man named Bruce a few times who would sing and dance in the aisle during our worship services.  That was his way of worshipping and celebrating God.  I never condemned Bruce for his worship, but complimented him a few times for his own authentic worship.  It is here, with the example of Bruce, where I think we need see that definition of authentic worship.  Authentic worship is not tied to the loudest band, most pointed sermon or best small group program.  These are all traditions that I believe have very little to do with the authentic worship of our Lord which we ourselves partake in.  There is a modern hymm I first heard at a Promise Keepers event titiled "He has made me glad."  In the words of this song I often find the true meaning of authentic worship...without the vegtables.

I will enter His gates with thanksgiving in my heart
I will enter His courts with praise
I will say this is the day that the Lord has made
And I will rejoice because He has made me glad!
~He Has Made Me Glad - Maranatha promise band~

~Scott~

No comments: