Friday, September 29, 2017

Conduct Unbecoming



Men, all this stuff you hear about America not wanting to fight, wanting to stay out of the war, is a lot of bullshit.  Americans love to fight, all real Americans love the sting and clash of battle.  When you were kids, you all admired the champion marble shooter, the fastest runner, the big league ball players and the toughest boxers.  Americans love a winner and will not tolerate a loser.  Americans play to win all the time.  Thats why Americans have never lost and never will lose a war.  The very thought of losing is hateful to Americans.  Battle is the most significant competition in which a man can indulge.  It brings out all that is best and removes all that is base.
~General George S Patton, June 5, 1944~

I've always been interested in history books and movies.  Not just any history but military history.  Few people will admit that the study of warfare is a worthwhile endeavor, but it's something I have devoted a lot of time to learning.  From battle to tactics to those events which caused the outbreak of wars, I've studied many a conflict.  One of my favorite military leaders of all time was Third army General George S Patton.  Fierce, bombastic and controversial, old "blood and guts" never seemed too far away from the spotlight.  As far as egos go, Patton was one of the best and those under his command knew and respected him for it.  One of my favorite scenes from the movie Patton came as the old general was visiting wounded soldiers in a field hospital.  Now, keep in mind that Patton himself had a deep respect and fondness for the men of his third army.  They'd been through hell together on their march through Europe.  On that day, as Patton encouraged his wounded men, he chanced upon a seemingly uninjured soldier.  When asked what his injury was, the young man replied that he "just couldn't take the killing anymore."  Now, for the battle hardened general, this could mean but one thing, and he let the soldier have it with both barrels.  "Fatigue?  Well...hell you're just a godamned coward!"  After smacking the soldier on the head, Patton ordered him back into action.  Now, where most people today would see this as conduct unbecoming an officer, Patton saw it as a good dose of motivation for someone who sorely needed it.  I can honestly say that I can relate to that young soldier.  For there has been many a time when I myself have graced those around me with my own self pitty party.  Usually, these times are simply my way of letting others know I've been slighted.  Conduct unbecoming.

 5And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons: “My son, do not despise the cchastening of the LORD, Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him; 6For whom the LORD loves He chastens, And scourges every son whom He receives.” 7If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten? 8But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons. 9Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live? 10For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness. 11Now no echastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
Hebrews 12: 5 - 11 NKJV

I only mention this as this week was one of those times of self pitty.  However, like that old general, a good friend of mine took me behind that woodshed to remind me once again that no, the world didn't revolve around me after all.  So, what is it about those times when we all feel that need to let the actions of others affect us so much?  And not just major life issues, but petty things we would normally laugh about?  I think of that issue which my wounded pride was dwelling upon this week and I shake my head and ask...why?  I mean, there are certainly going to be those times in our lives when the actions of those around us will drive us mad.  Hell, I just know that more than a few of things I've done have angered a good many people.  Is this who I truly am?  Is this how I want to be remembered?  No...to both questions.  What was so very important about the correction my dear friend provided me this week is that it placed that behavior I was exhibiting right smack in front of me...and I didn't like what I saw.  Not only that, I didn't like what others saw in me.  This does not exemplify that Spirit of Christ Jesus which I celebrate so much in me {Galations 2:20}.  Would Jesus hold that grudge over another person?  If that were the case, then my own salvation is a farce.  No, it is Jesus who not only loved me first, but calls me to do the same for those around me {John 13:34}.  Thank you my friend.

~Scott~

No comments: