Saturday, September 3, 2016

Compulsion In The Name Of Jesus

"Judge not, that you be not judged.  For with what judgement you judge, you will be judged; and with the measure you use, it will be measured back to you.  And why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?  Or how can you say to your brother, 'Let me remove the speck from your eye'; and look, a plank is in your own eye?  Hypocrite!  First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."
Matthew 5: 1-5 NKJV 

I ran into a friend the other day who used to attend the very same Sunday hunting grounds which was our local church.  Of course, one of the very first questions she asked was if I was still attending.  Possibly knowing what was coming next, I shook my head in the negative.  To my surprise, she informed me that, "After alot of prayer," she had decided to abandon her congregation for another.  Not to bang that drum again, but it seems I'm seeing more and more people and aquaintances with a vested interest in just where I am spending my Sunday mornnings these days.  For the record, my Sunday mornings are spent in the company of a few godly men as we wade through more than a few topics which we often face, in a Christ centered setting of course.  Now, if that offends anyone, you're free to comment at the bottom of this page.  We don't sing, we don't dance nor do we take a collection.  We simply meet, have breakfast and talk guy stuff and glory in what Christ has done in each of us.  After all, isn't that what the early church did?  For the early church of the followers of Christ was simply a collection of believers who gathered and shared life, and the teachings of Jesus, with one another.  What more simple church service could there be?  Too often we get lost in all of the trappings of the modern mega congregation.  We are marched into the church palace on Sunday, we greet our fellow church goers, we find our place in the congregationand we settle in for the weekly hour long dog and pony show and obligatory twenty minute sermon.  If we're lucky, that sermon from the pulpit pounder might even strike a chord with us and what we are going through.  

Now all who believed were together, and had all things in common, and sold their possesions and goods,and divided them among all, as anyone had need.  So continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house,they ate their food with gladness and simplicity of heart, praising God and having favor with all the people.  And the Lord added to the church daily those who were being saved.
Acts 2: 44-47 NKJV 

Now, many will read this page and see me as a diabolical church hater.  Well, they are only partly right.  I do not hate the church, hate is a pretty strong word which I do not take lightly.  What I will say is that I have a dislike for what the modern church has become.  With its elaborate palaces and weekly circus type sideshow worship services, it's no wonder just why many churches have gradually lost track of just who fills their seats each Sunday.  More important is the performance, and the show must go on at all costs!  For how can we possibly have a church service without a praise and worship band?  Or how is it that we can have a church service without the obligatory offering?  Yes, someone needs to foot the bill for the modern church worship palace.  Gone are the days of that simple country church.  I find it hard to fathom that a pastor of a modern church can be seen as one of the richest men in America.  I have a simple belief that the local church should be about the spiritual needs of the community it represents.  I know, I'm old fashioned that way, archaeic if you will.  However, I feel I'm not alone in my thinking.  Just why are we seeing such a influx of people transfering between churches or, at worst, leaving the church alltogether?  Could it be because we've lost track of the meaning of church, of community, of worship?  Perhaps, but perhaps the professors in our modern day Pharisee schools never intended for the church to be about the individual.  So go ahead, ask me just where I spend my Sunday mornings.  You may not like my answer, but I guarantee you that my heart is at peace with my decision.

~Scott~ 

No comments: