Saturday, September 10, 2016

The Jesus Man

~Jesus men~


"I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Galations 2:20 NKJV

There has been many a book written and many a video series produced in an effort to tap into the hearts of the christian man.  It seems that to understand the heart of man seems to have become somewhat a income stream for the modern church.  "Who are these men among us, and what makes them who they are?"  It has been widely accepted in christianity that the husband be the spiritual leader of the home.  However, what of the man who is single?  What of the man who comes from a broken home?  I suggest that, despite these happenings, that the christian man should still be looked upon a a spiritual leader among those around him.  Now, here's where I believe where we as christians have fallen far short.  Yes, I believe that christian man be a spiritual leader.  However, like a soldier going into battle without ammunition, the christian men of today seem woefully unprepared for this role of spiritual leader.  We've spent far more time and effort on men being men, on men doing "Guy" stuff.  It's not like this is somehow irrelevant, for each and every man shares what we know as the heart of a man.  This is that adventure seeking, danger engaging guy who exemplifies what many see as the heart of a man.  This is indeed what author John Eldredge refered to as the wild, manly heart of a man in his best selling book "Wild at heart."  While I don't dispute Eldredge's claims that every man is a man at heart and yearns for that very danger and adventure which men have done for generations, I don't believe that this should be that focus of what a christian man should be.  For this heart of a man will come naturally, it's in our very DNA to do so.  As the wolf hunts and the fish swims, a man will eventually long for that which he has been hard wired for, adventure and danger.

One of the turning points in my good friend Craig's life- maybe THE turning point - was the day he took back his father's name.  Craig's father, Al McConnell, waskilled in the Korean War when Craig was only four months old.  His mother was remarried and Craig was adopted by his stepdad, a sour old navy captain who called Craig a "seagull" whenever he was angry with him.  Talk about an identity, z place in the story.  He'd say, "Craig, you're nothing but a seagull - all you're good for is sitting, squawking and..." (you get the idea).  When Craig was a man he learned the truth of his heritage - how his dad was a warrior who had been cut down in battle.  How if he had lived, was planning on going to the mission field, to take the gospel to a place no one else had ever gone before.  Craig discovered that his real great - grandfather was William McConnell, the first missionary to Central America, a man who risked his life many times to bring Christ to a lost people.  Craig changed his name to McConnell and with it took back a much more noble identity, a much more dangerous place in the story.  Would that we were all so fortunate.  Many men are ashamed of their fathers, "You're just like your father," is anarrow many a bitter mother fires at her son.  Many of the men I know are trying hard not to become like their fathers.  But who does that leave them to follow after?  From whom will they derive their sense of strength?
~John Eldredge from his book "Wild at heart"~

It is this section of Eldredge's book which hit me pretty hard upon reading it.  For one of the promises I had made to myself was that I WOULD NEVER be like my own father.  I was falling into the trap.  For my own father, an alchoholic and adulterer who had left our family when I was yet young, had never been much of a part of my life growing up.  In my mind, I saw that condemnation from those who knew me, "There goes Scotty, the drunk Sherrifs kid."  Did having that DNA connection to this man really define just who I was?  No, for as I grew I had yet my own battles to wage and rivers to cross.  Yet, I struggled with my own identity as Eldredge's friend did.  It is this very struggle which affects christian men today.  Who are we?  If we are indeed called to a leadership role in our faith, who is it that is our example to follow?  Is it our local pastor?  A good choice, but one that will ultimately be subject to the desires of the flesh as we ourselves are.  No, I believe that our example to follow in our faith is none other than Christ Jesus.  After all, it is Christ in whom we have heritage and our DNA {Romans 8: 16-17}.  What better example to follow than He who gave Himself that we would be free from our chains!  What better Father to have than He who loved me enough that even though I was yet a sinner, sent His own Son to die in my place {Romans 5:8}!  This is never a Father who offers condemnation or bitterness, but love and mercy.  What better example to follow in our roles as christhians.  For if we as men are yet called to be leaders of our faith, we do so as Christ Jesus who is within us {Galations 2:20}.  Not as a christian man, but as a Jesus man.

~Scott~

No comments: