Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Family Ties

Behold what manner of love the Father has bestowed on us, that we should be called children of God!  Therefore the world does not know us, because it did not know Him.  Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is.  And everyone who has this hope in Him, purifies himself just as He is pure.
1 John 3: 1-3 NKJV

Family has always been a big thing in our society.  In fact, in many other parts of the world, family in THE thing.  For ones family can decide not only their characteristics, DNA and behaviors, but also their wealth and whom they will take as a mate.  Family relationships can be both endearing or troubling.  A old friend of mine once had a joke about family visits.  He would smile and say that family are like fish, they go bad after a few days.  In other words, feel free to visit, just don't get too overly comfortable in your stay.  Now, I would never advocate such treatment of inlaws,but one must understand that my friend never had a good relationship with his parents.  That being said, it's certainly true that most of our formative years are spent in the presence of our families.  It is through these relationships where we ourselves learn about healthy relationships.  Our families are also our source of well being in our younger years.  For when we were afraid, hungry or in need, did we not go right to our parents for security?  Indeed, family can be a strong influence.  Coming from a single parent home, I also learned that family can also be a source of pain and sorrow for some.  One of the most difficult things for me to accept has been the habit of some to refer to our heavenly Father as "Daddy."  Of course, I now realize that however difficult it was for me to accept this practice, it was based on truth.

For as many are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.  For you did not receive the spirt of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father."  The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God, and if children, then heirs - heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.
Romans 8: 14-17 NKJV

What is this truth of "Daddy" God?  Well, we are told more than a few times in scripture that we who have accepted Christ Jesus are indeed children of God.  And not only that, but the apostle Paul tells us in Romans eight that if we are indeed children of God, then we also share a divine joint inheritance with Christ Jesus.  For we are now joint heirs of our heavenly Father with Christ Jesus.  I've never had much difficulty understanding the Sonship of Christ Jesus to our heavenly Father, this is pretty much a no brainer.  Where I got tripped up was in the realization that I myself am a heir to heaven with Jesus.  Indeed, this was a position which I felt was only reserved for Jesus.  One can see now just how much difficulty I happened upon upon hearing others refer to God as Daddy.  However, I'm sure that I was not alone in feeling this way.  Yet, I also now realize that beautiful truth that I now possess in my heart, that I have a inheritance with my Father in heaven.  And as far as family goes, our heavenly Fathers family is one of love.  A love which God showered upon us to ensure our salvation while we were still sinners {Romans 5:8}.  THIS is our family heritage.

~Scott~