Thursday, September 22, 2016

The Name Jesus

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men.  And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.  Therefore God has also highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Philippians 2: 5-11 NKJV

Inevitably someone will ask me.  Those who know me for my religious beliefs have done so on occasion.  Those who have never met me may even question me as well.  Eventually the question will present itself.  "What religion do you follow?"  "Do you believe in God?"  Now, I personally believe that religion is a man made institution which has very little to do with God or Christ.  It is because of this belief that I often chafe at the very idea of having to explain my so called "Religion."  So, when I'm asked what religion I follow, my response is always the same.  I follow Christ Jesus!  For it is not religion that gave of itself that others might be saved.  It's not religion that created the heavens and the earth.  My focus is not on a religion which I may be expected to follow, but on the name Jesus.  For at the very name of Jesus every knee shall bow in heaven and on earth {Philippians 2:10}.  Are we to even to attempt to bow in the name of religion?  No, for to belong to a religion is to belong to a loose association of common believers.  To follow Jesus, however, is to follow the one who gave Himself to set me free.  Religion has not set me free.  If anything, it is the very traditions and trappings of religion which seek to restrain me.  It is not the rock and roll worship band nor the slick speaking pulpit pounder who guarantee my future with Christ.  It is the man named Jesus.

"But why do you call Me 'Lord, Lord,' and not do the things which I say?  "Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like:  "He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundatio on the rock.  And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock.  "But he who heard and did nothing is like a man who built a house on the earth without a foundation, against which the stream beat vehemently; and immediately it fell.  And the ruin of that house was great."
Luke 6: 46-49 NKJV

That very personal relationship which we share with Christ Jesus belongs to all who have come to accept Him {Galations 2:20}.  I see no close, personal relationship with Christ in religion.  But does one need be religious in order to place their trust in Christ?  I don't hold to that belief at all.  For if all one needs do is place his trust in Jesus in order to enjoy that relationship with Him, then anyone religious or not can enjoy that opportunity.  In fact, I would suggest that accepting Jesus is one of the stepping stones of being religious.  However, we must be careful not to confuse Christ Jesus with the trappings of religion and tradition.  It is here where the true meaning of following Jesus is often lost.  For we do not follow a "system" but a man.  A man named Jesus.  Again, it is we ourselves who have created the religious system which has come to classify those who follow Christ Jesus.  The focus must be on the man, not the system.  This is where our relationship with Christ is in its truest form.  So, for any who will ask, I am not religious, I am Christ.

~Scott~

No comments: